Series 90 Micro Connection Problem

plc_padawan

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem getting my computer to communicate with my 90 micro plc. I am using the rs-422 adapter and have the baud rate, parity settings all the same on windows and the cimplicity software. I keep getting the following error code.

ERROR 8505: Unable to get location of communication configuration INI file.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Tom

I'm bumping this thread, cause i'm really desperate for some sort of lead. I'm starting to think this problem is going to get the better of me. I'll try and give you a little background and maybe that will help. I bought a ge fanuc 90 micro plc off the internet for a home project. After building the panel I hooked the supplied cable up to my home computer and attempted to go online with it. I'm using Cimplicity machine edition software on my home computer. That's when that error code popped up:

Error 8505: Unable to get location of Communication Configuration INI file.

I disconnected the cable from the pc altogether, and i'm still getting the same error message, so I don't know if it's either the cable or some setting internally. When I power up the plc, i get the power light and OK light to come on, the run light isn't on, but i assume it's just because it doesn't have a program in it. At any rate, if anyone has seen this sort of problem and steps to solve it, let me know.

thanks in advance
Tom

Not knowing Cimplicity I'm just reacting to the wording of the error.

ERROR 8505: Unable to get location of communication configuration INI file.

The software appears to be saying that it is looking for a file which would tell it how to set up communications and that it can't figure out where the file is. It's obviously going to be some kind of INI file. Was the software loaded into a directory other than the one suggested at install time. The software may be making an unwarranted assumption about this file's location.

Yeah, it's starting to look like it might be a glitch in the software. I managed to load logicmaster software on my pc and I was able to go online with plc. But i've never used DOS based programming software. It looks painfully tedious to learn.
I might just try and reload cimplicity.

Problem Solved!!

You know, sometimes it's better to not think to hard on a problem. I put the Cimplicity install disk in and it had a "repair" feature on the main screen. Clicked on that, and as soon as it finished installing, the pc connected to the plc with no problem. Whew! glad that's over.
Thanks for the tip Russ.

Tom