Panelview to TI545 General questions

russrmartin

I have a Siemens TI545 processor that talks to a TCP smartscreen at the moment. The TCPs are hard to come by anymore, and our plant is pretty much mandating AB stuff. I'd like to swap the TCP with a PV900. I'm just wondering what all is needed. I'm assuming that the best way to communicate is by profibus, but I am unsure what all is needed to setup a profibus network, or how much it costs. I'm also not sure if it would be easier to simply swap the processor at the same time to a SLC or 5000. Just wondering what the general consensus on here would be, and what the ballpark price on setting up a small profibus network is. This is completely a standalone unit which runs 4 ovens which have various recipes, though I don't know how many. Just looking for ideas and thoughts. Thanks.

Russ

Russ,

This is more of a bump-up than any advice, sorry. I do not have any real experience with the PanelViews other than we have a couple that arrived on a few new machines. We just recently purchased the software and I have not looked at it yet nor the options sold with the PanelViews.
We use several CTC HMIs on the Profibus network though. On the systems with the HMIs we use 545-1104s, 555-1104s and a 555-1105. These PLCs come with the Profibus port already in them. Other than the purchase price of these processors and the HMI Profibus card, cables and connectors there really is not any more expense that I have seen. These were in place before I started here but there does not seem to be anything special needed.
CTI (Control Technology Inc.) is now Quote: "Building the Future of 505" and their new processors coming out have Ethernet built in. They also sell a Ethernet card, the 2572-A and that is were I will be trying to lead the factory next.
I would advise going Ethernet but I really would like to see some suggestions about staying with Profibus and the PVs.

"our plant is pretty much mandating AB stuff"

Why do you want to go for Profibus in that case? But yes, there are PVs with profibus connection

"Ethernet"

You most probably cannot connect Siemens PLC and PV900 by using Ethernet. Maybe "PanelView Plus" can handle that.

If you have (must have) AB anyway and have money, go for SLC or CompactLogix (much better) and focus (like ilikbeer said) on Ethernet/IP. Personally I would choose also PanleView Plus altough software is full of bugs or "features"

Regards
Lauri

Is the machine that you are trying to upgrade a glass tempering furnace? If so, I can suggest some other migration strategies for you. If not, the same strategies may work. I had the same problem. TCP started charging $13K ++ for smartscreen 8 years ago. I switched to PCs to avoid this problem again. We used TCP’s DOS based SmartScreen software as a stopgap solution. It ran on a DOS based computer. However, there are tricks to make this run on today’s PCs. Then I switched to PC (Win NT,2K,XP) control (Think&Do) with Siemens ET200M IO for new systems. For our existing customers, I offered the same PC control connected to the existing IO. It was cost effective to offer this option because they could get our latest code and be back in production after a weekend.

Hope this helps,

[font=&quot]john[/font]

Why do you want to go for Profibus in that case? But yes, there are PVs with profibus connection

Money is a huge restraint on this one. I need to keep this under 10K if possible. Regular PV1000 with profibus is around $5k. If a profibus card for the PLC rack is under $1k, this would leave me $4k in labor left to redraw screens and configure profibus card. To upgrade PLC completely is going to cost way too much at this point.

I have considered PV+. I have used these before, and strangely enough, I had very few problems. Small installation though compared to some that others may have had. Can I even get an ethernet card or something for the TI545? I have not looked into this, but perhaps it would be a better solution.

fast CPU'S SLOW RS232

However, there are tricks to make this run on today’s PCs.

I have experienc3ed problems with the new PC's talking rs232 to the old systems. I believe there are patches to slow down the COM ports but do not know what they are. Sorry this is off the beaten path, but is a problem.

Thanks,
Dave

Take the leap and go PanelView Plus 1000 on this project.

You can't get Profibus on Standard PanelView terminals anymore. The Profibus and Modbus options for those terminals quietly and unlamentably stopped production last year.

The PV+, however, can communicate via serial or via Ethernet to the Simatic/TI 505 series controllers in their native protocols. You won't have to buy any comms cards for your TI controller or for the PV+ terminal.

I have not personally used PV+ with TI-505 yet, but the users I've spoken to that have used those report no problems connecting, configuring, or communicating with RSView ME using the included Kepware drivers for TI-505.

I second Ken. Since A-B got the last few firmware/software revisions on the street the PanelView+ is actually a pretty good platform. The configuration software will never be my favorite, but it is much better than the old PanelBuilder stuff.

Besides, I find the Plus line is actually less expensive than the old PanelView, but I admit I did put some pressure on the distributor to get my pricing down.