Encoder question

paulB

How would you interpret encoder specification parameter of pulses per revolution (PPR)? If it is two channel quadrature encoder and spec is saying PPR=2048, does it mean that each of all channels (A, A/not, B, B/not) will output 2048 pulses per revolution, or each of the channels will output 512 pulses, which in sum makes it equal to 2048?

Thank you.

PaulB.

This may not be universally true, but generally when people talk about PPR they are referring to the electrical cycles from a single channel in a single revolution.

Once decoded the terminology shifts to 'counts per revolution' and typically includes a decode type. For example, a 2048 PPR A-quad-B encoder may produce 8192 counts per revolution with fulkl quadrature (or 'X4') decode.

Keith

Most encoders will give you the PPR per channel on one revolution. A and B channels are 90* phase shifted so you can determine direction. If it has Z and Znot,it will be one pulse per revolution each.

Each pair is 180* out of phase with the other, IE: A and A not are 180*.

When they are different and there are many other ways to do encoders, the label usually notes specs.

Due to the complexity of some encoders, 99% of the manufacturers are quick to provide you with a hook up diagram and specs.