difference between microcontroller, plc and microprocessor

How about this:

A plc is a system (sometimes refered to as a embedded system or it can be a piece of software running on a PC) that uses a microprocessor or microcontroller as one of the components

A microcontroller is a general term and can mean different things to different people and manufacturers use it as they feel fit. Often it depends on the context its used in.

As far as I know, Microcontroller used its internal memory when it is in "Microcontroller Mode". In "Microprocessor Mode", it used its external memory.

PLC is a hardware device which used Microprocessor as its processing unit.

- A microprocessor and a microcontroller are both chips while a PLC is a complete system.

- A microprocessor needs external memory- and I/O-chips, while these are integated in a microcontroller.

- A PLC consists of at a printed circuitboard, a microprocessor with external chips or a microcontroller, and interface circuits to communicate with the "ouside world", all this is usually mounted in a "box" with easy accessible connections.