"source not available"

plcnewbie

I have a 5000 program, and some of it says "source not available". How can I see the source? Is this something the original programmer does not want us to see? Is there a trick...(I know there are no 'tricks'. Before I get hit on this one):D

RSLogix 5000 allows a programmer to lockout the source code from viewing or viewing & modifying.

Quote: The RSLogix 5000 Source Protection feature allows you to protect the contents of your routines from being viewed by anyone who does not have the source key required for accessing them.
In order to use the Source Protection feature, you must activate it via a registry entry. For your convenience, Version 11 of the RSLogix 5000 software includes .reg files you can click on to add the required registry key.
What is Protected?
Once a routine is protected, users without the source key will be prevented from viewing the logic of the routine. This affects the following features:
§ Editing - the Language editor does not open and the Controller Organizer's edit menus are disabled. In addition, the routine icon is disabled.
§ Printing - attempting to print a protected routine displays the message: "Unable to print the routine. Source not available."
§ Exporting - no entry appears in the export file for the protected routine. A warning message appears in the Results window stating the routine was not exported.
§ Routine Properties - All controls on the Routine Properties dialog are disabled for a protected routine. The message "Source not available" appears at the bottom of the dialog, as well as in its title bar.
§ Search and Replace - The only search type that is allowed to look into a protected routine is Find All. Find Next, Replace All, and Replace Next all skip the protected routine. When the protected routine is skipped, the following message appears on the status bar:
Unable to search the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available.
Note: This message is also logged to the search results tab when perform a Replace All search.
Since you cannot view protected routine’s logic, the Find All search results items do not navigate to the found locations.
§ Navigation - You cannot navigate to a protected routine.
§ Verification - You cannot navigate to an error in a protected routine.
§ Cross Reference - cross reference information is displayed for items referenced within a protected routine, but you are not allowed to navigate to the location within the protected routine. Double clicking to navigate to a protected routine beeps and displays the following message on the status bar.
Unable to edit the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available.
The Go to Location menu item is disabled.
§ Go To - There is no edit item in the Go To dialog for a protected routine.
§ Cut/Copy/Paste - You can copy, paste, and drag and drop protected routines from the Controller Organizer.

Regards Alan Case

Hi

I beleive there is one aspect of the source code protection that the Rockwell manuals cooly left off. You could loose your source code protected routine if you follow the following scenario.

1) I use my office laptop to create the rslogix 5k file. I then protect certain routines with one password. I can see the password in text when I open sk.dat in a notepad.

2) I copy the .acd file to the customers computer (minus the sk.dat) file and download to the PLC. During debug, I make some online changes and save the acd file.

3) I copy the .acd file from the customers PC into my laptop (since the customers PC has the latest code now). When I try to open the source protected files, well I simply can not. Even though I have the original sk.dat file in my laptop.

4) I tried deleting the sk.dat file and created a new one. Entered the SAME password as before, yet the source protected routines can not be opened.

Another possibility is that perhaps there's a routine that's configured as function block or SFC instead of ladder and you don't have a license including those other editor options.

Hello,
I am laso stuck in the same scnerio, I cant can see the subroutines greyed out but cant even go into it or view it,Implied that source protection is applied on it.

But the programmer is unreachable, and there is no sk.dat file available,The only thing we are able to do is to Upload the program from the PLC
Please suggest if there is any way to get the sk.dat file from the plc.your earliest response is highly appreciated.

Hi All,
I have the same problem. I can't open some of the ladder logic routines because it says source not avaliable.... SO what do i need to do to open these routines.....Thanks

From the help files:

Once a routine is protected, users without the source key are prevented from altering the logic of the routine. This affects the following features:

You will need to go to the original programmer and get the source key...

Source key is a file named sk.dat and as far I remember the default folder is My Documents. However, you can set any folder when you activate the Source Protection feature.