Square-D Disconnect LK3-DU3

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi again,

Many of the panel we build are equiped with this type of disconnect switch. Its 30 Amps and used to be very tough.

A few months ago I discovered a design change. Nothing special about this fact but some strange events happened since then.

The cgange has to do with how the shaft is held in place. The switch used to have a locking set screw AND a very small shaft that was for me more about helping the shaft position in regard of the handle than to old it in place.

They remove the set screw. It does not even appear on the drawing anymore.

The problem is that now I get many calls because the shaft get pulled out of the switch by them nice electricians hence braking the mechanism.

After having contacted my distributor :doh:and having convinced them that there was indeed a change in this equipment, They contacted Sqare-D. We are supposed to have talked with the man in charge of approval for all design changes and he told us there where no changes.šŸ™ƒ

To make a long story short... we had to pretty much convinced everebody whom we talked with at that manufacturer's place... until they talked to one of there older guy who told them the same story as us. He never knew that they change the design.

No I'm ****ed off 'cause I want some answers and when I re-contacted them I have to tell them the story all over again:doh:

How could I proceed... or better, anybody knows who I should call to get answers.

1. There switch has changed
2. The new design is a piece of crapp
3. They will all get broken

I feel for you.

In my experience the only way to really get their attention is to show them a PO going to one of their competitors. Explain why you are changing from you old standard (them) to your new standard (not them). Obviously this has to be a legitimate supplier, because you may well have to change to the new guys if Square D isn't responsive.

If you can, also make a selection of other products such as machine tool relays or circuit breakers or whatever. You obviously want to consolidate your purchasing as much as possible.

You have a 100% chance of getting the local distributor's attention and concern. Unfortunately, you only have a 25% chance of getting the equipment with the original design again. It's not that they don't care. They probably have three boatloads of the lower cost design in transit and the bean counters aren't going to throw them away!

I believe Ferraz-Shawmut is the one building them for Square D. If that is the case then Ferraz might have made the change without ever telling their customer (Square D).

Tom Jenkins said:
...and the bean counters aren't going to throw them away!

Is this not incredible? One of my main worry is "How can they keep there CSA and UL approval on this thing?"

What is even more troublesome is that I have been present when a technician broke the retaining pin. He only applyed a small force to the handle and the shaft retaining pin splited in two.

Will I go further with this? Contacting CSA? There is a real safety issue here. IMHO there is no way this component can pass any mechanical test.

Talking to one rep. he told me that the situation is kinda bizarre 'cause I was the only one to notice this. They have not heard of ANY failures except from me and this is why they never notice the design change.

I asked him a sort'a trick question "Do you sell many of them units?" He said yes and I asked him if he had access to sales figures for the last two years. He said yes again. Then I asked him the comparative sales figures for the shaft vs the handles and switches?

Bingo!

Confidential informations:oops:.

I will not spend to much time on the issue but I will still ask them for a Total Recall.

Last time i checked I had about 20 panels equiped qith this.

Jim Dungar said:
I believe Ferraz-Shawmut is the one building them for Square D. If that is the case then Ferraz might have made the change without ever telling their customer (Square D).

Thanks for the info. I looked at there site and found the switch to be of the new version also. Will look into it more when I have some spare time.

But then again I also have yet to complete my wife's list of IMPORTANT thing to do before the end of the summer. If summer can last till febuary I should make it on time.

- Just talked with the local Ferraz-Shawmut rep. He told me that they no longer build and supply Square-D with them switches. That is since about one year.

Funny, it exactly matches the time of this bad design change.

I will meet with him this week.

Thanks guys.

-Ain't this site great!!!

Ferraz Shawmut LBS Switch

Hello All Concerned;
Please be advised, that Ferraz Shawmut does not manufacture these switches. They are built and supplied to us via third party. Square D ( Schneider Electric) purchase from the same source. In Canada we have had NO issue with these swithces since we had no inventory with swithces affected by the manufacturing dates. There was an advisory that went to US Distributors advising them to return their inventory.
If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call.
Regards;
Lew Sileckyl C.E.T.
Manager
Technical Sales & Marketing
Phone 416-253-8536

Dear Sir,

I have replaced these switches a llllloooooonnnnnggggggg time ago.

Costs me a few hundred bucks. Cost the manufacturer and distributor a few thousands in sales.

Hello,

I had the same shaft issue in the past with this small LK3DU3 switch.
The shaft fixation kit was not supplied anymore in the bag.
The instruction sheet was still showing this fixation kit

I call tech support, and they told me that there has been a mix with a very similar shaft designed for smaller 508 motor controller switches.
They sent me replacements, since no problem :), and no recall on my knowledge on that product.