Panelview 1400e and Panelbuilder 1400e

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
This will, in fact, be my first opportunity to make modifications to any type of panel terminal. We have an existing PanelView 1400e that interfaces with one of our machines. This particular machine requires several different default configurations in order to run correctly depending on output speed and raw material input. Everytime we change our input material, which are 5-6 different types, a different configuration is necessary for process. Will Panelbuilder with the Panelview allow me to program one-button "recipes" on one of my menus?

I have not yet purchased Panelbuilder 1400e, and also wanted to confirm that this is the proper program for the Panelview 1400e.

Its been a few years since I programmed 1400e specifically but I want to say no as an asnwer to your question. I can't remember a function/method that allows multiple values to be written to a PLC memory with one key press but maybe there is a trick that someone else knows about. The 1400e is programmed with a seperate version of Panelbuilder other than the more common PB32.

As a side note, the 1400e is a old AB product and not recommended for new purchases (try getting one repaired!). You may want to look at Panelview 1000s instead. Also, check into Panelview+ products, they may support the function you're looking for.

Last edited:
As a "generic" kind of answer to operator interface questions, I have always been able to do "features" that were missing from OI's in the PLC through logic.

Using your "recipe" problem as an example...

1) Set a bit in the PLC with the PanelView.
2) Use this bit to set recipes in the PLC, i.e. move data to various registers, etc.

For another example, I have "manufactured" password protection in system using OI's that didn't have them as canned screens by simply making data entry screens and comparing them to a value (numerical password) buried in a PLC register. This works in simple applications to keep the guy sweeping the floor from making changes.

Good luck!

Panelbuilder 1400e is the correct software, but as jstolaruk points out, this is an obsolete unit.

If you are buying new, I would definitely buy something else. If you already have a PV1400e and are considering this only because you already have it, I might still consider buying something else (and avoid the cost of purchasing the software AND the potential service/support/repair issues associated with an obsolete unit).

That said - the 1400e is a very capable unit - we have 3 of them in my facility, and they have served us well for many years. To do anything like recipes, you will need to do what Jimmie_Ohio says: build the recipe system in the PLC, and use the PV1400e to toggle a bit (or integer, or . . .) which triggers the PLC to adjust it's own recipe values . . .

Marc

PanelBuilder 1400E software is about the worst HMI software I have used. It is obsolete and it shows.

By the time you are done with buying the software, going up the learning curve, and cobbling around to make it do what you need you could easily have paid for new hardware and software and the configuration time and still have some money left over.

I would recommend the AutomationDirect.com EZ-Touch - it is my first choice in HMI. The hardware and software are both reasonably priced and it supports recipes. The only big weakness is trending, which is servicable but not as flexible as it should be.

If you want to stay with an Allen Bradley product go with one of the new PAnelView Plus units. The hardware is excellent, price is not horribly out of line, and they have finally gotten the software to a point where it is very useable.