RSView ME file recovery

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
So... I while back I wrote my very first panelview plus application(still working fine, thanks everyone for answering some of my goofy questions) :)

Due to the latest worm attack infecting our corporate network, the laptop with all of my files on it had to be re-imaged and all of the applications re-installed.(/sighs)
I have backup images of ALL of our hmi computer hard drives..... Somehow never managed to remember to do MINE....:cry:

At the time, I copied the runtime file to a memory card, and also copied "manually" the project directory and files over to the card('cause at the time I didn't realize I needed to ARCHIVE the project)

Has anyone had to recover the project files for an application like this before? I don't need to make any changes in the near future, but at some point I'll be adding on to the existing system, and I don't really want to have to make everything up all over again. I can pull the screens, etc from the existing files(I think), but is there an easy way to get everything loaded correctly? Or am I just going to have to put it back together piecemeal?

If you have the complete directory structure from the project, you can re-create it on your system.

First, create a new project with exactly the same name as the one you want to restore. That will create the core directories deep in the "Documents & Settings" directory and make RSV Studio aware of it. Then over-write the project with your saved directory tree and you should be good to go.

You can actually pull the project out of the PV+ and recreate it from the runtime file. Some things will not recreate but since it was your first project I doubt whether you used parameter files. There is an article on the AB knowledge base of how to do this. It is a bit tedious but it does work.
Regards Alan Case

I do not have it, and I dont know where to get it but I have a friend that has it. I send him a runtime file .mer and he sends me back a backup file .apa . This is for RSview studio ME version 3.1 . So I know the program exists, maybe someone else here has heard of it.

Thanks Bob

If you have the entire directory structure then you can use the Restore Legacy Application (from the application manager) function.

It is not necessary to create a new app with the same name and copy the files manually. Use Restore Legacy and it will handle all that for you.

OG

Thanks for the help folks... I've been pretty tied up on some projects, so this is the first chance I've been able to respond... I followed Gerry's suggestion a couple of days ago, and everything seems to be working fine... But I'll definitely try the Restore Legacy Application next time this happens...

I tried to find the knowledgebase article Alan talked about, but couldn't seem to pull it out of the masses of other stuff... Any suggestions for what keywords to search with?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly Alan is referring to. The .MER file that you pull out of the PanelView Plus cannot be converted to a .MED for use with RSView ME.

This was an intentional product design to protect the source code.

Perhaps Alan is referring to the PanelView (not Plus) which did allow this.

OG