OT: VFD or ASD?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Got a nomenclature question for the more knowledgeable folks on the board. I was in the middle of a meeting yesterday and was told that it was no longer correct to use the term “VFD” when speaking about drives in general. They now should be called “ASD” Adjustable Speed Drives”. Has anyone else heard this, have I missed the boat somehow?

Not an important question, I’m just curious.

Ken

I can't say I have ever heard the term 'ASD'.

The only reason I can think of is that when you use the term VFD, you mean an AC drive, but the term ASD, could mean either an AC drive or a DC drive.

Homophobia is not PC

Paul

Ken, I agree with Paul whether it is PC or not. In the old days, we called a DC drive, well a DC drive. And the AC drive gradually became a VFD or variable frequency drive. But you know, there are some in this business who just can not or will not relate to a variable frequency definition. So, in come the semantics folks and give us a generic VSD. Makes everyone happy, right?

I've been seeing the term ASD for years on P & I Diagrams from major A & E (Archtectural and Engineering) consulting firms. It has never really caught on.

It is true that ASD is more generic, as it can apply to AC, DC, eddy current clutches, or even mechanical variable speed devices like variable pitch sheaves. However, in almost all the references I've seen the actual device is a VFD. This is a widely used and widely understood acronym, so I don't see any advantage in not using it when it applies.

Gee I never thought about it BUT
my pickup has ASD
The engine has a throttle to control it's RPM
The transmission has 5 foward speeds and one reverse
and the brakes are negative speed control(?).

I like the term VFD it says just what it is.

Dan Bentler

DickDV said:
Just so they don't call it a "freak" drive!!! Having a close association with these things, I kind of hate that name!!

I have found the ones calling AC or VFD drives freaks usually are muddled in DC controls and cannot fathom the concept of commutation.

I used to be an SCR technicalitian. Then I became a drives technicalitian. I can handle being a VFD or VSD tech, but I aint gonna be an ASD tech.

Usually the ones using these BUZZ words or phrases are sales sluts and application engineers trying to impress us old time techs with their modern edumacation.

NOW, does any body know where the term DRIVE comes from. Old Reliance savy persons need not reply.