RS232 with CP341 card question...

Johnny T

Hi

I'm having problems regarding setting up a CP341 card to talk to several servo motors. I've posted questions on this before but, because this problem isn't related to the others, I've started a new topic...

So... here's what's happening. It started out that the received information I was getting back from the motors was incorrect (I'm currently using 2 motors although the final project will have 16).

I connected only 1 motor and found that I get the 'SF' led on the CP341 card. The error in the diagnostic buffer is "Break on receive line". This happens if I connect the other motor as well... However!! if I connect the two motors at the same time I don't receive any errors!?!?

I've checked the internal wiring of the motors and they look ok (ie. dip switches, wiring etc match).

So I wondered if it could be a problem with the cable I made up for the CP341 card. I made a standard cable that has pins 2,3 and 5 connected (tx, rx, gnd). Do I need to 'short' any pins or anything for this connector?? Its the 9 pin D type that plugs into the CP341 card.

The motors simply have Tx,Rx,Gnd as their connections.

I've tried swapping tx and rx on the motors but I get exactly the same error ie. "Break on receive line"

I would really appreciate any input on this as I'm really stuck. I've tried Siemens tech support and they reckon its a wiring fault. I've scoured the manual for both the motors and the CP341 card but haven't turned up anything helpful (apart from how to interrogate the diagnostic buffer for the card).

Many thanks

JT :)

Sorted the problem out now...

It was a wiring problem with the MAC servo motors we're using. There are the three wires for tx, rx, and gnd.

There's also a fourth wire that needs to be connected to tx if you AREN'T using addressing with the motors.

We are using addressing and therefore I didn't connect it.

However, after speaking to the motor manufacturer they said that if you have problems to try connecting this fourth wire on just 1 of the motors... I did this and bingo! its working...

Cheers

JT :)