Reading data from S7-400 in Linux

marazo

All I need to do is to read the data from PLC and store it into a MySQL database.

Does anybody know if there is software to do this in Linux? The connection should be ethernet, not MPI.

I've tried Thomas Hergenhahn's VISUAL, but it is too bugged and nearly impossible to get working on some computers...

Thanks.

-F-

Siemens has a sofware driver package for Linux HERE.
The regular Softnet packages costs approx 500-600 Euros, and approx 300 Euros for the "Lean" version. Dont know what the Linux version cost, would be interesting to know it.

There are examples on how to make Send/Recieve data transfers under Windows with VB code (without the need for buying any additional software).
Obviously it should be possible under Linux as well, try to search for "S7 send/recieve Linux".

If you are in a hurry, and need something working here and now, you should consider the shrinkwrapped Siemens package.

Ok, I'll see if those examples are any good for me. I'm hoping to find a free solution, so buying things is not an option. Attleast not yet...

-F-