Protool negative attributes

Werner

Hi!

In protool I want to make a negative attribute. Unfortunately this is not possible. My program needs to do the following:

999 to 1 is color yellow
0 is color grey
-999 to -1 is color green

Since negative attributes are not allowed (Stupid!) I thought I try the following solution.

Tag upper limit = 0
Tag lower limit = 0
Color above upper limit = yellow
Color under lower limit = green
Default color = grey

When I simulate this it works! Then I switch to another page and come back to the page. Now all upper/lower limit colors are gone (the block is grey). The tag is still above or under 0 so it should still give it a color.

My question is is this a problem with the simulator? Or is it so that the colors are only shown on a page when the data change happend with the page open? Or is their some other thing happening?

The "simulator" is actually the real Protool Runtime. So it cannot be the explanation.
The reason is possibly that you are working with something that it was not designed for.
I think that Protool looks at the values, and notices that the tags hasnt changed and then decide not to update the animations.
What happens if you have a negative value (it displays green), you then switch to another screen and back again (it displays grey), and you then set the value to +1 and then to -1 ?
If it switches to yellow and then to green then the reason is like I said.

That you cannot specify negative values for the attributes is defintely a deficiency in Protool.

You could use a separate "animation" tag for each, but that will cost in the amount of powertags.

I tryed your test here is the result:

Negative value (it displays green), switch to another screen and back againg (it displays grey), set value to +1 (it displays yellow) switch to -1 (IT DISPLAYS GREY????)

So I did some testing on my own. My application counts down. If I use a VAT to switch the value directly from +10 to -10 it displays grey. If I switch from 1 (Yellow) to 0 (grey) and then to -1 it does switch to green? I really can't explain this. (This testing is hapening on the same page, but I have to switch the focus to the VAT and I think protool is seeing this as a page change)

When I try this (using the screen number area pointer) it does not change the page number only the field number. So I'm completely lost. I have to make this status view for 350 tags. Luckely I started simulating after completing 35.