1760L12AWA AB Pico PLC

Jdesena

Hello All,

I am new here. I am a student at a local junior college taking PLC classes. I just bought for my own learning a PLC 1760L12AWA from AB. I need the interface cable for programming. The cable cost anywhere from $68.00 to $75.00 US. Is there another way to get a generic or compatible cable for this unit? Where can I get the specs of this cable?

PLs help.

Thank you

Joe

You can program it from the front of the unit whithout even using the software.
I know, Iknow... Where's the fun in that?

Goto AB.com -> literature library.

You can drill through the menu or enter the PICO model in the search and access all the documentation online.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion. It s not new to me. But I cannot find the cable specs. Have you found it?

Thank you

Page 130 of this (1818 KB) PDF File User Manual says not to use any other cable than the 1760-CBL-PM02 Cable.
I'd invest the $78.00 :)

Actually a better investment is the Micrologix starter Kit, and leave the Pico alone, but since you've already started...

You're not writing huge programs here. If you can't afford the cable at this point, don't bother trying to make one. It just not worth the effort. Have you peered at the connector on the PLC? Where do you plan to get one of those?... :unsure:

Use the software to develop the program. Much nicer than paper and pencil. The simulator works quite well, and will allow you to do most of the debugging ahead of time. Then, enter the program using the Pico's keypad.

The 1760-CBL-PM02 cable has a DB-9(F) on one end, but the other end has a funky little proprietary connector, so you probably won't be able to make your own cable.

The connector on the siemens logo is the same way. It's the same basic connector but they are not interchangeable.

Programming it from the front panel is a pain. Not nearly as fun.

Actually a better investment is the Micrologix starter Kit, and leave the Pico alone, but since you've already started...

Agreed.

The 10 point MicroLogix 1000 24Vdc powerd PLC 1761-L10BXB is $88.00 (6 in, 4 out) - A 24 Volt power supply will be required for this model.

Its been while since I bought the ML RS232 cable, but I think it was around thrity bucks. 1761-CBL-PM02

RSLogix500 starter - which programs only the 10 point Micro - can be downloaded for free from AB.com.
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/ The dowload link is on the right udner the picture of the PLC.

RSLinx Lite (also free) is also required.

Heres the tech note on downloading and installing.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/70C5ABEC76DF4A7885256D520049BAFE

Last edited:
There is also a starter kit (1761-START1000E) that has a 1761-L10BWA (120/240VAC line power/6 24vdc inputs/4 relay outputs), 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, RSLogix500 (for the 10-point Micro only) , RSLinx Lite, manuals, samples/tutorials for $125.00.

Greetings Joe,

all knowledge is good ... so working with the PICO isn’t exactly what I’d consider a “waste of time” ... but ... what you’d learn (about the hardware and the software) by working with the Micrologix Starter sytem would DIRECTLY lead into useful knowledge for larger PLC/SLC platforms down the road ...

unfortunately the same cannot be said for the PICO controller ... much (most?) of what you’ll be able to learn with this “smart relay” (NOT the same as a “real” PLC) will NOT transfer directly to larger hardware platforms and software in the future ...

so what are you trying to accomplish? ... and how far do you eventually plan to go? ...