Gem80 12 slot i/o rack setup

djroche

Does anybody know a simple method of working out how to set the rotary switches on the i/o rack. I have the documentation but the penny isn't dropping on how to set the switches. All I want to do is add additional i/p cards. I have 16 bit i/p cards in slots 1 & 2 starting at A0 and 32 bit o/p cards in slots 3 & 4. I need additional i/p by moving o/p cards to slots 5 & 6 and installing two more 16 bit i/p cards in slots 3 & 4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Why move your existing 32 point modules? If you do this the adresses will change and you will need to revise your ladder.
You could install the new 16pt modules in slots 5 & 6, and set decoder switch number 3 to '4' - the two new modules will now be at addresses A8 & A9.

Once you get your mind round the decoder switches they provide a simple and logical way to set addresses.
Each switch controls the address for 2 words (32 bits) of I/O.
This is relevent to 8 and 16 point modules only. 32 point modules have fixed slot addresses.