work project

stu

hi guys, i have a project at work that will have 15 inputs and 9 outputs and the company want to use a mitsubishi alpha2 logic controller is this wise or will a plc be better?

stu

Hi Stu,
It depends on the complexity, but the plc option is probably the best.
The FX0N range is about as cheap as the Alpha & you can probably follow the logic easier as well

the company want to use a mitsubishi alpha2 logic controller

Saw one of these the other day. They are unusual in that the software uses gates. Electronics people love them.

They are really quite a good little unit and have quite a lot of features for a small unit. Unfortunately, I have not been able to use something this small for years. Minimum 100 I/O out to monsters these days.

You could do a lot worse.

One advantage in using the Alpha instead of a small PLC such as FX or Versamax micro is that the alpha has a small display. Depending on your application this can be used to display alarms, enter values etc.

this machine has 2 cylinders operating forward and back with 2 sensors on each cylinder. and will send a signal to operate 3 differant bits of kit i am going to put a safety relay in the panel which will feed an input. do you still think that the alpha2 will be ok .

stu

Well, it does do 15 inputs and 9 outputs. So you are maxed out there. Expansion is available. Optional programming software recommended, unless you can figure out how to use AB Picosoft (which is free).

At $399 USD they are kinda pricey. Moeller, the original and actual manufacurer is cheaper. The programming logic being 4 functions long may become somewhat of a pain. It is nice to have the display, or be able to program on the unit itself, but I think you will find it somewhat difficult to do so. I took a look and my last price for a Moeller 12in/6 out with a 12/6 expansion module was $285. An 8 in with 6 xstor out was $79.

I was one of the original proponents whem K-M first introduced the "easy" years ago (mid 90's), with 4 in and 4 out. But as the years have passed, I find the micro's and small plc's more practical. And generally, more more cost effective.

This really doesn't seem like something the customer should have spec'd. It is nothing like a plant full of PLC5's, or a ControLogix system.

regards.....casey

Last edited: