Micro Logix 1500 Memory

Allan Barnes

Hello All,
I was just asked double the amount of Data on my project. I think That I have enough memory, but I have not started writing the code yet.

My question is this;
Is there any way to increase the amout of memory available to a Micrologix 1500 LRP?

I looked up the memory moduals for the MicroLogix, but they apear to be more for back up of memory as opsed to memory expation. Is this right? or will I have to go to a SLC if I need more than 14 K?

That's going to be one heck of a big program and some huge data tables for the IO limitations of the ML1500 to use more than 14K.

Are you logging data in the PLC?

Nope I am not loging data; I was asked to set up for 16 recipies, and now they want 32.

Honestly I do not think I will run out of memory, just trying to cover the "what if?"

The costomer asked me how much upgrading the memory would cost because they now want 32 recipies. Each recipie only holds 5 words. As far as I can figure if 14K cant do it, I need to go to a SLC.
But again this is not a large project, HMI, 3 axis servo control, and a bunch of pnumatic I/O.

In the ML memory is addressed in words, not bytes. That 14K memory is 14,336 words (28672 bytes)

Your recipes are 5 words each, or 160 total words for 32 recipes. Leaving you 14,176 words availalbe for program and other data. Thats room for an awfully big program. I suspect you could easily handle a couple of hundred recipes.

BTW, are you using indrect addressing to access and manipulate the recipe. If not, I suggest using it, it will save on a ton of code.

edit to add:
You can see how much memory you have used by double clicking on Controller Properties under the Controller folder in the project tree on the left hand side of your screen in Logix500. The information is llsted on the General Tab right under the processor name.

You can also right click on Project at the top of the tree, select properties, and click on the statistics tab. This method gives you some other use(ful)(less) information as well.

The project needs to be fully verified for this to give you accurate results.

Last edited: