Which PLC is better?

MMAL

I use Mitsubishi PLC's with GX Developer and Medoc to program with. I am very experienced with these, but have limited experience with other brands of PLC's and their software.

Which PLC and software is better? (in your opinions)

Last edited:
This is an old ever repeating topic. My personal favorite at the moment is www.automationdirect.com

Some guys like fat girls, and some guys like blondes. Some guys dont like'm at all.....

Just always remember that the PLC has to fit the project. Never try to make the project fit the PLC.. The right plc for the job is the better plc.

You would probably find that most people dont have a wide experience of different PLC's. And to do the comparison you ask, they would first have to know GX dev well.
I mostly use GX dev but I also often use CX programmer (Omron) and Step 7 Microwin (Siemens 200 series)
In my opinion, none of the software manufacturers have got it just right.
(Goldilocks would not pick just one )
I have often thought as I am program a particular brand - I wish this brand did what that brand did - or this is a great feature, why dont the others do it this way.

A Rolls Royce and a Ferrari will both get you to work on a morning, one a little faster one a little more comfortbly but you still got to work :)

Best programming software is Modicon Concept.
Unless you want speed and reliability, then I would go for a Siemens S7 400 or 300.
Unless you hate the Siemens programming method, then I would stick with the Mitsubishi.
Unless you want an easy to use programming tool, then I would go for a Modicon using Concept.

For me, the best PLC is made by Siemens. Why? If you know to program Siemens PLCs, programming any other PLC is no hardship at all. You'll learn it in no time, because Siemens has the steepest learning curve of all. When you know Siemens, all others seem easy.

No kidding. In my opinion the best PLC is the one you know best and does the job.

Kind regards,

I mostly use GX dev but I also often use CX programmer (Omron) and Step 7 Microwin (Siemens 200 series)
In my opinion, none of the software manufacturers have got it just right.

Pretty right. Like beer, all beer is OK but some is better than others.

MEDOC was fine in it's day but is pretty outdated these days. GX is functional but "clunky".

I think Omron CX-One is pretty good. CX-Programmer V6. Better FB support than previous versions and an absolute host of standard FBs come with the package. Full networking support (V1 and a bit clunky but will get better.

For me, the best PLC is made by Siemens. Why? If you know to program Siemens PLCs, programming any other PLC is no hardship at all. You'll learn it in no time, because Siemens has the steepest learning curve of all. When you know Siemens, all others seem easy.

HERE!!! HERE!!!

No kidding. In my opinion the best PLC is the one you know best and does the job.

Could not agree more.

I guess most here would know that my preferred is Omron by a long way. Have looked at others but have not found a reason to change my view at this stage.

For Smart Relays the Mitsubishi Alpha 2 looks very good with a host of features and lots of functions and expansion modules.

I am having a very good look at the AB Micrologix 1100 at the moment. Looks very attractive up to 80 I/O and may well fit the smaller jobs that come my way. Cost of software is a bit of a worry though. Also having a look at Control Logix but cost is a bit prohibitive, particulalry the software. The PLC istelf is a very interesting concept and it will be interesting to see if other manufacturers follow suit.

Your applications will also make a huge difference. Some PLCs network much better than ithers, some have better motion control, some have fuzzy logic. Sifting between them can be a nightmare.

Not impressed with Schneider software at all.

Some guys like fat girls, and some guys like blondes. Some guys dont like'm at all.....

What an excellent analogy Mike!!!

This is an old ever repeating topic.

Dont't we all dislike this question? A search will find plenty of topics on this subject.

Have a look in the reviews section and see what people think of the PLCs they use. It is only very new and many of us have really not had time to submit a review yet but the section will get much better as time goes by and we all have more time to submit our reviews. Do not only look at hardware reviews but software as well. Software can save an enormous amount of time and frustration particularly when commissioning.

jvdcande said:
If you know to program Siemens PLCs, programming any other PLC is no hardship at all. You'll learn it in no time, because Siemens has the steepest learning curve of all. When you know Siemens, all others seem easy.

That is a very profound statement.

I guess I'll view Siemens a little different now, rather then being hard to learn, ridiculous, etc.

I found whenever I had to do anything Siemens, it frustrated me more then AB which I think has too much overkill.

That doesn't mean either of these two are bad.

But. I still like GE 'cuase it is what I know best.

I like Entertron becuase they have many distinct advantages, and aren't difficult to program.

And I still tollerate Moellers "easy" and all the "off brands" like AB pico (etc) sine they are self contained, somewhat simple, and trainable for many basic electricians.

regards.....casey

I started with PLCDirect from Automationdirect.com and I liked LadderPLUS.
LadderPLUS makes programming and revising easy.
Till now I don't try another brands of PLCs.
I wonder if another brands of PLCs have something like LadderPLUS?
But I agree with that, the best PLC is the most one you have experience with.

Having used most of the popular PLC's over the years I would probably give my vote to Control Logix at the moment. The "PLC" that has impressed me most in recent memory, however, has been the humble AB Compact Block DeviceNet IO module. The Device Logix programming is clunky and Rockwell seem to go out of their way to hide the functionality but for the price it is amazing. It has always surprised me that I do not see any mention of these units on this site. Does anyone else use them?

You can also find some additional feedback in the review section.

http://www.plcs.net/reviews/

Casey is accurate in his description of our controllers. We offer many distinct differences compared to the packaged products.

Mike is also very accurate in that it is best if you can find a PLC that fits your application. However, sometimes it works out whereby your application is a perfect fit for a specific controller.

For instance our Smart-PAK PLUS with analog card is a perfect fit for applications with up to 8 in / 6 out digital and up to 8 analog in / 4 analog out. But when you need a 7th digital output with the analog card...we run into a problem with that product. With one application we are looking at, they required 7 outputs and 2 thermocouples. Through our review of their application, we were able to determine that two of the outputs will come on at the same time, every time, so we were able to group those two outputs together and fit the application into this controller.

What you are ultimately looking for is the best all around solution, based on your requirements. Software will be a factor. If you are integrating multiple controllers with program variations, then you will want to thoroughly review your software options. If you are an OEM with a standard product with some options, this is not as important.

Also...you are not just buying a product but you are becoming a partner with the manufacturer you choose. Support and protection should also be considerations when selecting a product.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

I started on Mitsi's too, through self-tutoring. Went to night-school for two years using RSLogix500 on A-B SLC500's - which I found to be a comfortable step up from Mitsi. Changed job and stepped into S5 which was like hitting a brick wall. Had Siemens training and it became clear. Moved into Omron with Syswin then CX-Programmer. Stepped up to S7 which was impressive. S7-200 is nice to self-tutor with.

All-in-all - the basics are the same - the software just makes it seem different. Give Siemens a bash, very "character building". Go to the Learning Pit as linked above and try the Allen-Bradley demo stuff.

usually i like use OMRON PLC, cuase we can use CX-Programmer, SYSWIN and their also have CX-SImulator..

so.. we can try first in CX-Simulator before we imply in factory

To all of you who like Siemens, why not try Vipa.
They look like Siemens, are programmed with S7 from Siemens, don't need MMC card, don't need RS232/MPI converters and are a lot cheaper

nonuke said:
To all of you who like Siemens, why not try Vipa.
Because it's not Siemens. Some (most) of our clients insist on using the real thing.

Furthermore, I have had some bad experiences with low cost alternatives. So far the difference in cost has always had a reason, mostly one I didn't like very much.

Kind regards,

I don't know anything about Vipa, but in general I agree with you Mr. Vandecandelaere. My motto has become "You get what you pay for, or less."