Control Logix: advice?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have been reluctant to make the move to Control Logix for several reasons, software cost, huge installed base of older lines, etc....
However, I have a project coming up that requires the use of a SIL-2 rated plc, so we are taking the CLX plunge.

Now on to the question, how hard is it to migrate to the CLX line? Can you do it without formal training? I realise that there will be some features that I am not aware of, but I hope to pick them up along the way, kind of OJT I guess. I've done quite a bit of Foxboro DCS programming, so using function blocks, time/event driven task, structured text, etc...
is not new to me. I've also been down to the local AB rep for a couple of hands on demo's of the CLX.

The upcoming project is fairly simple, all discrete I/O, no analogs, no remote I/O, just a DH+ connection to an existing DH+ network. If not for the SIL-2 requirement, I would most likely have used a SLC 5/04.

I can get funding for formal training, but just can't spare the time. So can I skip the training for now?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Ken

I haven't checked it out personally, but there is a training DVD that came with our copy of RSLogix 5000 for getting started. I mean to watch it because I haven't taken the training either so I'm 110% sure there is some things that I don't know. I'll try to get to it today and let you know or maybe someone else here can report on its usefullness. Jeff

If you're really lazy, and with the fact its a pretty simple program, just program the damn thing in you SLC and then use the SLC/ControLogix converter program (inside RSLogix5000).

Then you're only work is to setup the hardware and the connection between your new hardware adresses and the old ones and pay a little attention to your comms setup.

Ken,

I believe you can pick it up and with OJT and previous SLC experience you will be able to complete your project. That being said, a training course will let you in on the tools and advantages of CLX. In theory your CLX program can look almost exactly like a SLC 500 program, but with tag based database and user defined tags, there are a lot of extras there to take advantage of. A word of warning though. If you are going to be using a Panelview on DH+ take careful notes on how you need to set up your tag structure for the Panelview to read tags over DH+. DH+ expects a 16 bit architecture, but CLX tag database runs off of a 32 bit architecture regardless of what tag type you make it.

Last edited:
If you have worked with PLC's especially AB PLC's you can handle this. Download any CLX pdf manuals that look like you need to read and browse though them. There is a significant difference between the CLX and AB's other processors but the general idea is the same. I had never seen a CLX and I replaced two PLC 2/30's with 11 remote racks. The program was not that complicated but the new tag based addressing mad my head hurt for a while. You can (and I did) program the CLX with ladder and it looks pretty much the same as PLC 5 and 500 stuff. I am still trying to make good use of UDT's that everybody says is a great way to go.

Skip the training. Read the manuals. Layout the program structure on paper first. Do some good I/O layout drawings. Read the relevant manuals again. Then write the code.

I've had limited experience with RSLogix 5000, but you shouldn't have any trouble making it work. The software is close to the SLCs, and as others have pointed out only the addressing is a little different.

Where training will come in is being able to take advantage of some of the neat features that are available, but they aren't necessary to get the program functional.

Ken,

You can pick it up. I recommend going over the general procedures manual so you know how to set up tasks and what the advantages are with periodic and event tasks. Also make sure you know what UDTs are and how to use them. I took the plunge on a rush project about four years ago with alot of trepidation because we were on a compressed time schedule. Even with the learning curve, which is not that bad, I think that the project was finished just as quickly as it would have been had it been a PLC/5. Keep the manuals handy and if you run into a problem, check the tech notes - and of course, we'll be happy to help you.

I have no doubtt that you'll do just fine - and afterwards, you'll not want to go back.

The upcoming project is fairly simple, all discrete I/O, no analogs, no remote I/O, just a DH+ connection to an existing DH+ network.

sounds like an EXCELLENT "getting started" opportunity to learn new skills ... I'd say dive in ... if you need it, you can always get help here at PLCs.net ...

one question: any particular deadline issues? ... if not, party on ...

Don't use the migration utility unless you absolutely have to. The benefits of generating the code from scratch far outweigh the time that you will have to program it in 500 code.
Really, for discrete I/O, not much will be different, except for the tag structure. It gets REALLY easy when you have done a few rungs. (Just point to the tag, drill down...etc)

My first Control5000 task was 4 years ago, at verson 8.0. (Now at 13+), and I had to convert an already working set of code to the new 5K type. We used lots of String conversion at the time...and boy, was the conversion tool useless. Always try to start from scratch unless...

A) You hate your customer
B) You have absolutely NO TIME
C) You thought you could learn...but found out otherwise

PS> Don't get me wrong....The tool is great. (For specific circumstances)

Good Luck!

I agree with kcarlen.
I suggest using the conversion tool for one thing: Convert a program you already have a really good understanding of and then look at it to see how the same thing would be done in the CLX. Then throw it out - because code designed from scratch to utilize CLX efficiency features will be superior.

Ken...welcome to the CLX world. Like all transitions there will be moments of frustration because some things are done differently, but once you are past that you will find CLX far more productive to use.

KClarlen is dead right. The conversion tool works perfectly well in the specific circumstance that you want the CLX program to look like the SLC program it came from. This may well be the case for you this time.

But I have never used it and doubt I ever will.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone pretty much said what I expected. Just wanted to put up the flag, to see if there was some unknown gottcha's out there. I have a copy of the SIL-2 programming guide from AB, only certain modules and processors have been certified for SIL-2 applications.
I will be writing the program from scratch, because I have to monitor module status, processor status, switch key position and so on, to ensure that if there is a fault or failure, the PLC outputs will go to a safe state. The AB SIL-2 guide does a good job of identifing all the status word addresses, and gives example ladder logic. SIL-2 programming is a new issue as well, and I will have a second experienced safety PLC professional double check everything before we actually attemp commissioning.

Ken