Questions,questions,questions!

haggis

Hi there I have a question,sorry questions but first some backround.I come from an electical/telecommunications backround.Have worked with the I/O side of GE Fanuc PLCs for SCADA and GBMS systems and have since taken a course in programming Mitsubishi Fx.I have recently started a new job in a factory fault finding etc on existing systems and here within lies the problem.....
I am ok with simple ladder logic and plc ops including DI,DO,Algs etc.These systems however are far from simple(to me).We use alot of invertors for motor speed control,hydraulics etc with Omron CQM1H,C200HS....HELP!Omron scares me, if you know anything about INVERTORS,ENCODERS,PID in laymans terms how the values are scaled,calculated etc then great.If you can relate that to Omron then i love you.
Another burning issue i have is the software control side of plcs for distributed control systems.How does that work?How is it intergrated with ladder logic.I understand boolean and sequential logic quite well its really a matter of how it all ties together.
Lastly but not least oh no who has ever heard of AREL.Not me until i started here.They are using a plc code that seems to be software based called Arel funnily enough.Its an operand type system that uses boolean stacks and accumulators???No ladder logic just
IF NOT AR
;
COMPARE DO.
I understand the boolean style concept behind this but how do you even begin to put it into a format you can logically work with like you would ladder.

Many thanks for your time
Paul

We use a lot of invertors for motor speed control, hydraulics,etc with Omron CQM1H,C200HS....HELP! Omron scares me, if you know anything about INVERTORS,ENCODERS,PID in laymans terms, how the values are scaled, calculated,etc then great. If you can relate that to Omron then I love you.
Can you tell us any more detail about the applications with invertors and Omron PLCs. What models, what's the machinery, are you using external PID modules or ladder equivalents? Can you post code? Do you understand DM's?

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply to my mail.
The Omromn PLC,s used here are for controlling coloy dye dispensary machinery and is a prototype system designed by an Italian company for our factory requirements.Documentation is in Itallian and system knowledge here is only in regards to user operations and not technical something i am trying to resolve.
Often the dye powders are weighed to an accuracy of 0.01 gramms before various chemicals etc are added and mixed.
Info i have gathered for one example of the Omron setup is as follows
CQM1H-CPU61-Peripheral port and RS232C ports used
CLK21-Network card set at 2Mbps
PA203-Power supply
CTB41(inner board)-High speed counter board,CN1 connected to an Encoder Distributor motor?
PLB21(inner board)-Pulse I/O board, both ports CN1&CN2 used
OCH-16 internal cpu DIs
ID212-DI boards
OD214-DO boards
SRM21-V1-High speed&lond distance comms board

3G3MV Sysdrive invertor used
From what i can gather the invertor is connected to 3 times 240V motors used to control a vertical trolley(PLB21 CN2 i think) that picks up dye hoppers from a carosel,the other one drives a cutting tool for releasing the dye from its hopper into a beaker on a digital scale and the third one i have no idea,Tilt rotation motor apparently connected to PLB21/CN1-pulse input and output 1.

External PIDs not sure and as yet i have not accessed the PLCs for code/ladder etc.We have Syswin 3.x software but ive never used it(if its anything like the Omron manuals i will struggle).The peripheral port on the CPU is currently connected to a 422/232 convertor by the looks and then to a status PC?Could i unplug this without affecting the network and only the status PC?Is it hot pluggable?Is 3.x compatable with this type of CPU?So many questions sorry.I have always worked in an installation commissioning role so i learn the system as i go but in here your on eggshells in case you damage anything because only the Italians at great cost can fix it.No spares either that i can set up and learn on.
DMs?-Digital multiplexers?
Regards,
Paul