A/B communication help

tommy23t

Hi all. I am in A/B communication territory where I am only familiar with basic functions. My situation is this: I have a panelview 600 w/ rs232 and DH+ connected to a 5/04 processor via DH+. I have a rs232 cable to program the plc through the 9 pin port, downloaded/ monitor, no problems. I have the panelview programmed via a straight serial cable, also no problem in download.
Now, the problem: I have a barcode scanner to attach to the rs232 on the 5/04's 9 pin (which is the programming port).
I need to see data on the PC screen so I can tell if the scanner is reading characters properly.
I could find only information on Rockwell KB from 5/04 to panelview, not from panelview to 5/04 via DH+.
The only solution from Rockwell was to purchase a $1385.00 PCMK card, which I can not justify for this 1 time use.

Is there a passthrough to allow me to look at the 5/04 from the PV side so I can attach the scanner to the 9 pin port and watch my data files??

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Tom

The only method I can think of without connecting your laptop to the DH+ port is to program the SLC to place the received message from the scanner into a data table. You then install an application into the Panelview that displays the contents of the PLC's data table on the screen.

Yes, I was thinking that may be the only way. It is just frustrating to go thru all those steps. I am spoiled by Mitsubishi's GOT diplays that do pass through automatically (and included free).

Thanks
Tom

I thought I could do that, but I don't know how to configure the port to see the scanner that needs the pc hooked up to run rslinx to see the scanner that need the pc...- Catch 22 I think.

Any suggestions??
Tom

The 5/04 has two ports...serial and DH+. When you config the serial port to talk to the scanner, you will (most likely) be unable to use it as a programming port as soon as you accept the changes. It may be possible to go online after some changes to your RSLinx Df1 driver config. If you completely lock yourself out of the serial port, you will have to restore the processor back to its factory status before you can communicate with it via channel 0. Ch0 does have a remote mode change feature that will allow you to switch between system and user settings by sending a user defined mode change character. That may allow you to use it with both the barcode scanner and your programming terminal, but not at the same time. Look at the help files associated with the General tab of the channel config dialog.

It would be really nice if you could get the DH+ interface card. That would give you a back door to your SLC if your serial port is in use. Once you use DH+ as a programming portal, you'll never want to use the serial port for that again!

The cheap and dirty method is as stated earlier...Add a panelview screen to display your barcode data.

If you had another SLC-5/04 on this DH+ network you could use the DF1/DH+ passthrough function to connect to it via RS232 and bridge over to the SLC that is doing the barcode input.

But, as you've found, the PanelView doesn't have that same functionality.

If it were me, I'd call the local Rockwell office and see if they'd rent you a 1784-PCMK card for this project.

How about the 1747-UIC (USB to DH-485) as your PV should be be able to use that too. I don't know what it costs, others here will, but I'll venture it's a lot less then $1385.

As others have mentioned, it's not going to be a one time use item, as when you change the rs-232 port to ascii, going back to DF protocol is going to take some means.

As Eddie suggests, call you're local AB people to BORROW something.

I tried to borrow one, but they were reluctant in case it blew up. I just was amazed at the guy at A/B thinking I was being cheap- This ain't a fortune 500 co. I have.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I just knew it going in.
tommy23t

Try WinWedge for about $260

Then you can see any RS232 device with your PC.

You can then time stamp and put the data right into Excel.

Sometimes AB is not the only way.
I have recently had the same experiences with AB.
The do not Lend RSView32 either, but GE does lend iFix.

Another frustrated AB customer. The Master Disc is a real pain too.
Hold too tight and everyone bleeds away. Too bad they have us by the .....; not for long though.