EXCEL Data to AB PLC5

vb12345

I currently have RSLogix5 and RSLinx Lite. My goal is to take data from an existing Excel spreadsheet and send it to my Allen Bradley PLC5 for use in my Wonderware Control Software.

I am just looking for the simplest way to do this. I have been told I must upgrade to RSLinx Single Node. If this will work, then I'll buy it, only I have read some contradictory statements that I must have RSLinx Pro. The cost difference is about $1,200!

Can anyone inform me the best way to accomplish this task AND if RSLinx Single Node will work for this application.

Appreciate any help available...........

Generally, I have extracted data (from) the PLC5's onto an excel spreadsheet. Not from excel to the PLC. I currently do this with RS Linx Gateway. That way RS Linx can be run as an OPC Server and you can use any data aquisition software that is OPC compatible to ack as your OPC Client. These softwares usually have an Excel Addin That you install to run on your current MS Excel. I use OSIsoft's datalink. I'm not sure what you have. At any rate, If you want to send data to the PLC you will need some sort of link like this to get it done. The best place to start would be with Wonderware itself. This is the same thing as my OSIsoft system.

Thanks for your advice. I will investigate my options from the Wonderware perspective. It is a shame that our company's problem seems so simple. We have 'live' inventory software and then we have Wonderware Control software. We already use DDE to get our inventory data into Excel for different purposes, but we need to get the inventory data accessible by Wonderware so that we can control pumps and other devices based on the inventory level in each tank. I have even paid programmers in the past to perform this task and they failed. My fear is that I am going to have to become extremely proficient in Wonderware programming (or other software) to perform what appears to be a simple task.

Open up RSLinx and Open Help->Contents->How TO->Collect Data.
Look at Using DDE and Using OPC. There is some VB code examples there for Excel code to do what you want to do.

Linx Lite does not suppoet DDE or OPC so you will have to upgrade. If you are good with VB and really really ambitious and have lots of time, or really tight on money, search this site and also over MrPLC.com for DF1 protocol for some tips on writing your own DF1 drivers.

I don't mind spending the money for the upgrade. When you state "open up RSLinx" are you referring to RSLinx Single Node @ $420 or RSLinx Pro at $1,700. I don't mind spending the money, but do not want to spend the extra if I don't need it.

Thank you for your help.

Looks like single node will do OPC and DDE to a single node only. Gateway and Pro will do it with multiple nodes. Gateway will even let me connect, via the plant LAN, to our PLC networks through another PC which contains the kt card connected to our plcs (the other PC is also running gateway). You will still need a little VBA code to intiate the DDEPoke that writes values to the PLC from excel. It works quite well when writing cell values, but I still haven't figured out how to send an internal variable from a VBA module to my PLCs. I always wind up doing the math in a cell and sending the data from there.

You may want to look into the OEM version. That is what I use most often. Has the most bang for the buck IMHO. However, it is not as user friendly as some of the more expensive versions.

I believe RSLinx OEM is in the $700-800 range.

Ken

Last edited:
vb12345 said:
When you state "open up RSLinx" are you referring to RSLinx Single Node @ $420 or RSLinx Pro at $1,700.

You should be able to open RSLinx lite and view the help file instructions to see how to do it. But to make it actually work you will need to upgrade to Single Node or Pro.

IIRC, RSLinx Lite, Single Node, and Pro are exactly the same install, the sole difference is in the features that the activation file allows to run.

Thank you for the clarification. I did go to the help file and was able to read the description of this process, but as you mentioned I do not have these features in my "lite" version.