Eaton/Cutler-Hammer to acquire Rockwell Automation?

Those whatchamacallit HMIs

I've had clients and collegues calling PanelMates "Panelviews", and vice versa. What kind of confusion will arise when they are both made by the same company?

Keep in mind that Pinto has predicted for the last two years running that Siemens would buy Rockwell.

Wearable PCs

I got a kick out another article in that newsletter (reproduced below)
Wearable computers & networks

At various times, we have covered various types of wearable computers and gadgets in eNews. The trend is increasing, not just for the techy or geeky fashion, but because there are times when it makes a lot of sense.
The crowds who surround us every day constitute a huge waste of information that could usefully be networked. If you live in a big city for instance, there are many people who may pass within a few yards of you each day who could give you a ride home. Or they might want to buy an item you're trying to sell. Dynamic networking makes it possible to tap those resources through a momentary alliance among transient interest groups.

In the world of wireless wearables, computers embedded in clothing could form networks on the fly, prompting software agents to carry out mutually beneficial transactions. For example, people waiting to buy movie tickets in a long line might use an ad hoc network to auction off favorable places in line. Or, as I strolled around with my family and friends in Disneyworld, we could track each others' whereabouts and exchange ideas and comments about where to go next and what to do. Or, you could operate a mini-eBay auction for your bike to departing visitors, instead of locking and parking it.

Your wearable PC will let you know that you are passing a particular store, or give you a choice of restaurants in the mall. Hey! you could even download that MP3 music from a friend, as you walk around the mall.

Comments:

In the world of wireless wearables, computers embedded in clothing could form networks on the fly...

- Hey, your fly is down! er - I mean your network is down!

Of course, the software embedded in the clothing would have to be compatible.

You know, that shirt REALLY doesn't go with those pants!!

Would the expression "BOOT UP" take on new meaning?

What would the interface be called, a 'browser'?

"Honey - Quit browsing that woman's blouse!"

Sign in a movie theater:

"Please turn off all cell phones, pagers, and loud ties."

Hey! you could even download that MP3 music from a friend, as you walk around the mall.

If you do that in a Sam Goody, would that be considered shoplifting?

If you live in a big city for instance, there are many people who ... might want to buy an item you're trying to sell.

What would this do for prostitution? Would my pants inform me of what she is selling?

Or would my pants receive an email from my wife who is also networked in?

Or perhaps my pants would email her!!! (i can see the conversation - "I swear, it didn't happen. Someone must have hacked into my pants...!" )

I'm not sure that mankind is ready for the technology yet.

I too have heard that this is a done deal; I have also heard that CH has been touring AB facilities the last few weeks. I also believe that Ken Roach's silence speaks volumes.

No deal is done until it passes the SEC and shareholders of both companies! The Siemens buyout has been an active, hot rumor for several years now!

My ear to the ground has determined that Cutler Hammer is particularly interested in the drives division, and Siemens is also negotiating with Rockwell. The permutations are endless. I personally would rather see Cutler Hammer than Siemens, because of chauvinism, interest in making the market competitive, and fear of the customer service resulting from the combination of warm fuzzy Siemens and friendly accommodating Rockwell! ;)

and fear of the customer service resulting from the combination of warm fuzzy Siemens and friendly accommodating Rockwell!

That reminds me of my favorite JFK quote about Washington D.C.
... John F. Kennedy. Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.

Last edited:
I have it on good authority that ABB is planning on purchasing the Allen-Bradley brand and moving the whole combined company back to Sweden and renaming it ABBA.

Mandatory mullets and glittery pants for all senior management. I'm serious.

same story different day

I've heard all of these statements before and haven't seen the SOLD sign yet. CH has a huge overlap of product with Rockwell and wouldn't increase coverage in any but the PLC and Software markets. Don't believe it.

Re: same story different day

Mr. Allen said:
I've heard all of these statements before and haven't seen the SOLD sign yet. CH has a huge overlap of product with Rockwell and wouldn't increase coverage in any but the PLC and Software markets. Don't believe it.

So those are just minor segments?

Besides, just off the top of my head there is motion control, too.

Plus, this stuff takes time. Business- wise, Rockwell has been setting up for a sale for over 2 years.

Mr. Pinto, Mr. Densing, fellow PLC industry denizens:

Thhhbbbt.

Today was the shareholders meeting and we elected the new board of directors. Funny how there aren't any Eaton/Culter-Hammer members.

Now you can go back to the Siemens saleman in Detroit who started this rumor four months ago and tell him to stick to picking horses.

Ask Enron

Funny thing is that top management at Enron ( Kenneth Lay )
have been assuring employees that all is well until the end.
Buy more stock! - and they did. How do you know what's on board of director's minds?
You think that they are honest?
Several hundred publicly held Companies are under investigation by SEC.
Don Davis only made 1.7 Mil in 2002 that's only about 20 times the average engineer at Rockwell. That's just not enough for a CEO.
They deserve so much more. Why not sell out or merge and take the
severence bonus?