DNP3 SCADA & Allen Bradley Controllogix PLC Integration

Ariel Danez

I have an Allen Bradley Controllogix PLC with a CLX Ethernet/IP 10/100 Bridge Module-Twisted. It was originally designed purely for Data Acquisition and shall be integrated to a SCADA System using Ethernet Protocol thru a Hirchsmann Fiber Optic Switch. Plan was changed and we have to integrate it now to an SCADA System using a DNP3 Protocol. We dont have any experience in this type of protocol. Should I need an extra Gateway in between my AB CLX Ethernet/IP Module and the DNP3 based SCADA Sytem ? Any System Integrator I can contact with specifically

If you use a gateway, you lose DNP 3 functionality at the gateway. There are several imbedded commands such as pulse accumulation and freeze commands that do not translate well via a gateway. If you want to keep this functionality, custom coding the communications directly in the PLC.

The problem with DNP is that it is a standard protocol that historically gets changed for each customer.