Communication

sony

I am looking forward for communication help.
Can any one help me in differentiating FIELD BUS AND PROTOCOL
I WOULD BE THANKFULL FOR GUIDING ME IN THIS MATTER.

Fieldbus is a generic term, usually used to identify that a communications link exists. Foundation Fieldbus is a "specification" that actually identifie six or so different protocols and communications schemes.

Protocol is another generic term. A protocol specification identifies the structure of the communications packet, the commands used to read and write data, the error checking or checksum method, and so on.

Communications

Tom Jenkins said:
Fieldbus is a generic term, usually used to identify that a communications link exists. Foundation Fieldbus is a "specification" that actually identifie six or so different protocols and communications schemes.

Protocol is another generic term. A protocol specification identifies the structure of the communications packet, the commands used to read and write data, the error checking or checksum method, and so on.

Thanks Tom for the reply
Now i have one more doubt,If field bus is to identify communications link and protocol is used to identify communication structure how is it possible that DEVICENET,PROFIBUS are considered as both fieldbus and protocol.
Also can you shade some of your valuable experience in configuring DEVICENET. How to configure the identifier,message and connections object for it. And what about Devicenet Object which hold the MAC ID?
I am hoping for favourable response from you and Thanks for your Cooperation.

"Field Bus" is a generic term, like communications link. It doesn't identify a specific protocol, but just indicates that the communications is between feild devices and a controller or between several controllers.

I can't give you any help with DeviceNet, since I have never used it.

Communications

Tom Jenkins said:
"Field Bus" is a generic term, like communications link. It doesn't identify a specific protocol, but just indicates that the communications is between feild devices and a controller or between several controllers.

I can't give you any help with DeviceNet, since I have never used it.

Thanks Tom for Co-operation.I have now got fair idea about field bus and Protocol.