Fix32 environment protection

keithb

Hi

I have installed a legacy Fix32 V6.15 system on Win XP Pro and cannot seem to disable the windows key. I have full environment protection in place. The operator account is set not to allow task switching etc.

I also have the same system running on Win NT4 and when logged on as an operator, the windows key is disabled.

Is there a way to disable use of the windows key on XP?

Are you using a USB keyboard? The older versions of iFix and Fix32 do not have the right drivers to lock out the Windows key with a USB keyboard. Use a PS/2 keyboard and see if that fixes it.

I have not used FIX for 3 years. However I remember a problem like this. You had to download a Software Improvment Module from Intellution. I don't know how much support GeFanuc gives for these old systems but maybe someone on this forum has this SIM.

I have not tried to use Fix32 with XP but there were a whole raft of issues with W2K and V6.15. Most of these were resolved by V7.0 but a SIM was still required to sort out some trending issues. I think that you will need to update Fix to fully resolve this.

hi,

I have not used iFix, but I have had to totally restrict a workstation before and part of it involved 'locking out' the windows key. I acheived this by using windows scan-code mapping. This means that you will have to create a registry entry with a scan-code string which will map your windows key to another function. You can for example map your windows key to the number 1 key, you might be able to map it to null so nothing happens.

Attached is a microsoft document about scan-code mapping, there is other info on the net and if you google you might find a little utility which does the registry stuff for you.

Hi,

FIX32 are not supported on Windows NT.
FIX32 7.0 can with a SIM run on W2K.
Sounds likely to me, that interfacing to Windows enviroment could be one of the issues.

Regards
Nygaard