Omron NS to PLC comms

Steve Kemp

Hi all.

I'm trying to get my head around the various memory types used in the CJ plc. Specifically, in order to communicate to and from an NS5 screen. I typed-in "WR1000" as the serial-A $SB reference in the comms set-up for the NS5. On hitting "OK", it then showed as WR0100. Is this a word/bit thing? This is my first encounter with Omron, but no problems (yet) with the CX Prog. At the end of the day, all I want to do is allocate a contiguous block of word-type memory and the same for bit comms, for each direction between the two devices. I'm used to AB, so it's been a chunk of, say, N11 out and N12 back for the words; B13 and B14 for the bits. Can anyone give me a clue in simple terms, please for an equivalent? Thanks.

Steve,
What version of NS-Designer are you using? There should be a tutorial that installed with the program.

You will need to register a HOST device (Your PLC) in the Settings menu pull down. When you set up a button, light, whatever on a screen, you will need to choose under the device properties (right click on object) a write address. This can be set to the NS internal memory or the PLC. If you click on the set button, the next screen allows you to set the address, the box at the top allows you to choose between PT Memory (internal) or Serial A (PLC) memory.

Hope that will help

It's V6.20, and yes, I've just located the pdfs. A case of wood-for-the-trees: $SW is words; $SB is bits. Now there's a surprise! It's starting to sink in... Thanks.

Steve,

Within the PLC, it's all quite simple really...
W Area is word or bit addressable (e.g. W101 = word W101, W101.01 = bit 1 of word 101). W area is non-retentive - i.e. is reset after PLC is switched from Run to Program mode.
H Area = the same as above, but IS retentive.
CIO - Same as W area, but is also allocated to real I/O. (Spare words can be used as additional 'work' area).
D and E = Words only - cannot access bits of the words (unless using a specific instruction 'TST', 'TSTN' etc).
Hope this helps

Thanks, Paulus. I'd got to grips with the CJ end, but was flailing about with the comms to and from the NS5. I'm used to AB, so the acres of unrestricted memory was a bit daunting. Reckon I've got it now. Nearly... Is $SW 0 (current screen number) in NS system memory setup, when allocated to a plc address, both a read and write? If so, then should a MOV(value) in the plc, written to this word location for screen control purposes, be restricted to a one-shot action?

Probably not a bad idea. If you use an "at" symbol in front of the instruction, it will one shot or as Omron calls it "differentiate", ie: @MOV .

Sounds like you are making excellent progress. Congrats!

so the acres of unrestricted memory was a bit daunting
When you get used to it you love it and hate having to go back to lots of restrictions.

Add to that the confusion from no "X", "Y", "I" or "Q" and it can be daunting I must admit.

Once you are also used to that, just typing in "100" for input 1.00 is great and saves heaps of time. Further, just typing "200004" for an output 2000.04 that has been allocated to a Device Net block with the configurator is also great. But, you really have to know where you are going, where the I/O is allocated etc. If you do not, you can be in real trouble.

Those of us who grew up with the Omron massive sheet of memory that can be allocated/used as we wish absolutely hate having to go back to the restrictions imposed by most other PLCs. One of my pet hates, for example, is the old AB SLC with all the files for everything. Drives me nuts after being able to allocate memory to where I wish to use it. Not picking on AB by the way, just using the SLC as an example of what many PLCs make you do.

BobB said:
Once you are also used to that, just typing in "100" for input 1.00 is great and saves heaps of time.

...and the fact that CX-Programmer will differentiate between Word 100 and Bit 1.00 depending on where you are using it! :geek:

OK, here's a little niggle: Why doesn't the comment bar adjust to the width of the ladder whilst programming. I know it does when printing, but unless I put deliberate "returns" at the appropriate point, the comments run off the screen. Or am I missing a system setting somewhere? (My wife tells me I've been missing several system settings for years, but that's another story).

Hi Steve,
There is no setting that will limit the length of the comment 'bar'.
If you want to see more of the screen (and hence more of your comments), then there is always the 'Zoom Out' toolbar button!
(or alternately - if you've got very good eyesight - use Tools \ Options \ Appearance Tab, click Ladder Font, and set a really miniscule font size ;) ).

The reason for the long comment bar is that CX-Programmers print facility isn't WYSIWYG.
The comments 'wrap' when printing (as does a rung) because this is a pre-determined size for an A4 sheet.
CX-Programmers Ladder Editor however, has no limit to the number of contacts that you can put in one line of a rung, and therefore there is no limit to the length that a single comment line may be. ☯

Back to the real stuff... I've set up a data block; 20 variants x 6 fields. Looks good and compiles ok. I'd normally have to do loads of indirect moves in plc to accomplish what this single function appears to do. But at bottom, is is any more than an editor? The pdf intimates that it can be used for product selection, but I haven't found the facility for specifiying where the "selected" data is sent, for use by the plc program. I'm doing it all in D memory in the plc, by the way.

Jay,

Where can I get more of this information. I too am learning the Omron series. My company has gone from Mitsubishi to Omron and Im having to do a project with the NS8 and CJ1M. I am intergrating transducers which I have no experience in. And Info like this lets me know my options, and where/how to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: