RS Links comm problem

joeclint

I am having trouble making RSLinks communicate with my 5/05 processor using RS232 in local mode. I have configured the communications driver to the rs232 driver and when I tell Links to autoconfigure it cannot find the PLC. I am using a nine pin null modem cable. Can anyone help?

Are you using a serial port or going thru a USB-Serial adapter with your null-modem cable? If using an adapter, try to manually configure the driver and look for the 5/05 in RSWho. If you are not using an adapter, make sure the cable is truly null-modem and verify that the cable is good. If all that fails, close RSLinxs and perform the following:

Using Windows Explorer, go to Program Files>Rockwell Software>RSCommon. Find the files Harmony.hrc and Harmony.rsh; delete these two files. Close Windows Explorer.
Re-start RSLinx and try to autoconfigure your DF1 driver.

Greetings joeclint,

if the excellent advice from mgvol doesn’t work, then ...

it’s also possible that the DB9 port (Channel 0) on your SLC-5/05 has been reconfigured to something OTHER THAN a regular old-fashioned programming port ... do you have an offline file copy of your program? ... if so, open the file and check the “Channel Configuration” feature for your Channel 0 settings ... note: this is NOT a foolproof way to determine the actual ONLINE settings currently in the processor - but it’s a pretty good first step that usually works ... if the channel is NOT set for “System”, post again and let us know what it does say ...

and welcome to the forum ...

update

Guys

The cable I am using is a 9 pin female to female null modem that I just purchased from Radio shack. I confirmed that 2-3 and 3-2 and 5-5. I used explorer and deleted Harmony.hrc and Harmony.rsh. I also started a new project ach checked the channel configuration for channel 0 it was set to 0 for system. I also confirmed the baud rate for the rs 232 on my computer was set to the same setting that the configuration in RS Logic for the processor was set to. Also confirmed that the same baud rate data bits and error checking were set in RS Linx. Still no luck in making the PC and the PLC communicate.

Re-read Rons post. You may have set all those values in your computer but the PLC could be set at something totally different. Channel 0 could be set for DH485 for example or ASCII. If you are not worried about losing the program then pull the battery from the processor, then short VCC to GND on the processor board for 30 seconds. This will set all comms back to default but will also wipe any program.
Regards Alan Case

You could also delete the DF1 driver in RSLinx and configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ DH-485 driver. Then see if you can connect using the null-modem cable. If it works, it will confirm that CH. 0 on the SLC was configured for DH-485.