NetDDE data from InTouch

matsons

Complete newbie with polling data from InTouch. I am on site developing a supervisory control system and have limited access to the PC running InTouch because the process runs 24/7. This makes for quite a challenge. Here is the information I have:

- 2 PC's running in parallel for identical operations, no cross-communication that I'm aware of.
- Windows 2000
- InTouch 7 (I think ~2002)
- Application name is BBB_INI
- Wonderware Scandinavia QE71 I/O Server reading from Siemens PLC
- WW netdde extensions configured for Winsock first, then NetBios
- NetDDE Shares includes *|*, and I have added some without success
- NetDDE DSDM and NetDDE restarted
- Window maker is installed on another PC that I have slightly more access to
- Auto-login to user viss, not Administrator
- Wonderware screens have all task switching, C-A-D disabled so I have to close down InTouch to get access to the PC

I have tried reading from the I/O Server and from InTouch without success. Using NetDDE syntax: \\server\ndde$|share_name!tag_name and also what I perceive to be suitelink syntax: \\server\BBB_INI|tagname!tag_name

Will someone provide an example Excel formula that I can use to troubleshoot? My formulas always return "N/A" after thinking for several seconds.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Thanks, no ndde$ required

Thanks Tark,

I'll try this. Based on your response I presume that ndde$ is not required after the node name.

matsons,

We've found that simply having the *|* share configured on the Intouch node is not enough. You need it on your remote machine as well. Also we've found that if you log off and log back on, even though the *|* is still there, dde doesn't work. The only fix we've been able to come up with is to go back and open that share and either a) click ok as if you just made the share, or b) delete the share and reconfigure it. The log off/log on somehow disrupts that share. Also don't forget to trust that share on both machines.

Follow-up

I have successfully read from one Windows 2000 computer to another Windows 2000 computer using NetDDE. Both computers are running InTouch.

I am still having trouble getting data via NetDDE using my Windows XP SP2 box that will be hosting my application.

I have read all of the NetDDE threads and have tried the solutions listed:

- installed WW NetDDE Extensions
- put Winsock at the top of the protocols
- added *|* trusted share to the WW DDE Configuration
- Ran the OS Configuration utility
Thanks in advance for any more pointers.

Windows XP SP2 is a royal pain for NetDDE... Try configuring your firewall to accept everything, but even then, it's iffy. Also, try running the wnetdde program on both machines, sometimes it helps to keep the link alive.

Try adding the remote nodes to your hosts file, which is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Update

Well, I caved and installed Windows 2000. This gets NetDDE working right out of the box.

Now I just have to contend with the login dialog that comes up when I try to access the data by NetDDE.

No matter what I did, no success on XP SP2
- OS configuration utility
- verify NetDDE DSDM, NetDDE, and Clipbook services running
- added IP addresses to host file
- Installed WWinsock, NetDDE extensions
- triple checked shares on all computers

There's something done in the background in SP2 that prevents NetDDE from functioning. I wish I had found it but I ran out of time.

Thanks everyone for their help.

NetDDE on Windows XP

Dear matsons,

Have you solved your problem on windows xp sp2??
I also have the same situation as yours.

Could you tell me how do you solve your problems???

For troubleshooting purposes ... use WWClient.

The interfacing with XL is usually difficult at best (unless you are really into XL and DDE/OPC comms.