SLC503 Communications Problem

rick2517

I'm using an Allen Bradley SLC503 processor and RS Logix software. I have been using a 1747-PIC Interface and the DH485 port on my processor. I need to start using my 1747-CP3 RS-232 cable connected to the RS232 port on my processor.
*I'm trying to change my Driver to (RS-232 DF1 Devices). Is this the correct Driver that I need to use?
*Using this Driver, when I attempt to configure it, it says "unable to open specified port for communication testing". But I am using the same port (COM1) as what works with my 1747-PIC cable.
*Could my problem possibly be that my old Driver is still running? I cannot stop my existing AB_PIC-1 Driver from running. "Stop" is not an option when I click on this Driver and I cannot add the above Driver due to the "port" problem.
Could someone please walk me thru what I need to do to start using my 1747-CP3 RS-232 cable? Thanks a million.

Here's what I did (to the best of my memory) to solve this same issue:

Before you open RS Logix, open RS Linx. Stop the PIC driver then. Then add the new driver.

If all is set up properly, the "auto-configuration" button will work when you click it and after a few seconds display "auto-configuration successful".

Then open RS Logix.

You will need to stop the old driver first, and then add the new DF1 driver. You have to disconnect the PIC before you will be able to stop the driver. Once you use the PIC driver during a session, you may not be able to stop it. You may have to reboot the PC and stop the driver in RSLinx first, before any applications use it. Then you can add the new driver.

Shutdown RSlinx, disconnect cable on com port, Start RSLinx and make sure to uncheck the autobrowse feature. You should be able to delete your PIC driver now. Once done you can then reconnect and add the RS232 DFI driver.

OkiePC, you type faster then I do.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
When I went to typing class it was to get girls not learn to type.

Mickey, actually I'm a "hunt and peck" typist and really bad at it. I just read the post quicker.

And the above should have read:

"Win I went to typpin clas it wuz to git grils nto laern too typ."

That would have been way funnier, but I know what you meant...