Very new to Panelview Plus 1000 and need general guidance

SilverLoop

i will be developing some screens for a customer for a PanelView 1000 Plus. my questions are:

what version of RSView Studio, RSLinx Enterprise...etc...do i need to set up a computer for development?

what source should i use to get up and running in the least time possible?

i am familiar with PanelBuilder and RSView32 from a few years back so hopefully the learning curve will be less.

thank you!

Consider yourself lucky that you're starting now, instead of two years ago. The PV+/RSView ME product had a lot of wrinkles to iron out.

Get the newly released RSView Studio for Machine Edition version 4.0. The RSLinx Enterprise and KepServer Enterprise drivers you'll need for PV+ applications are included.

Remember that while you *could* use the full-bore RSView Studio (for both SE and ME), you only need the 'Studio for Machine Edition' version for PanelView Plus work.

If you can stick with Ethernet communications, you're going to be happiest. Data Highway or serial communications is not as easy as PV Standard terminals.

As for 'where to start' ? There are user manuals in PDF format shipped with the product, and an RSView ME forum over on the Rockwell Software website.

Eddie Willers said:
Consider yourself lucky that you're starting now, instead of two years ago. The PV+/RSView ME product had a lot of wrinkles to iron out.

Get the newly released RSView Studio for Machine Edition version 4.0. The RSLinx Enterprise and KepServer Enterprise drivers you'll need for PV+ applications are included.

Remember that while you *could* use the full-bore RSView Studio (for both SE and ME), you only need the 'Studio for Machine Edition' version for PanelView Plus work.

If you can stick with Ethernet communications, you're going to be happiest. Data Highway or serial communications is not as easy as PV Standard terminals.

As for 'where to start' ? There are user manuals in PDF format shipped with the product, and an RSView ME forum over on the Rockwell Software website.

thanks! i was starting to get concerned because it seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting started with the PanelView + 1000.

am i correct in that the new RSView Studio is following the Microsoft model of Visual Studio.Net that allows development for just about all of its languages? that is...an all in one development suite?

Regarding Software:

When you get your software, make sure it is all part of the same Coordinated Public Release. All of the current software is CPR7 which means that the are all supposed to be able to talk to each other. This way you know that your version of RSView ME and RSLinx Enterprise and RSLogix etc etc... will all be "compatible".

Regarding Getting Started:

With your previous experience with RSView32 and PanelBuilder you won't have any trouble creating screens and animating objects. I would focus on reading up about RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts and direct-referencing tags.

Rockwell holds 1-hour online training classes on RSView ME for like $50. You might check into that too.

OG

Operaghost said:
Regarding Software:

When you get your software, make sure it is all part of the same Coordinated Public Release. All of the current software is CPR7 which means that the are all supposed to be able to talk to each other. This way you know that your version of RSView ME and RSLinx Enterprise and RSLogix etc etc... will all be "compatible".

Regarding Getting Started:

With your previous experience with RSView32 and PanelBuilder you won't have any trouble creating screens and animating objects. I would focus on reading up about RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts and direct-referencing tags.

Rockwell holds 1-hour online training classes on RSView ME for like $50. You might check into that too.

OG

how do you verify that all software is part of the same Coordinated Public Release?

I believe that starting with CPR 6, the software splash screen provides not only the version number of the software (4.0.xx for example), but also the CPR version. That can help tell you when you open the software.

Rick

CPR 7 Version 4 of the ME studio has a bit of a bug in it that slows the offline browse of tags (Where there is no online processor connected) to a crawl. Would recommend sticking with version 3.2 for now. Regards Alan Case

Alan Case said:
CPR 7 Version 4 of the ME studio has a bit of a bug in it that slows the offline browse of tags (Where there is no online processor connected) to a crawl. Would recommend sticking with version 3.2 for now. Regards Alan Case

There is a technote about this at the Rockwell KB. Rockwell also recommends that you not use Version 4 but stick with or go back to 3.2. I laughed when I read that and laughed even more when I read the last statement in the article. "The engineering group is taking a look at this for a future fix." One almost wonders if this was spoken tongue-in-cheek.

yeah, I read the same tech note and was a bit amazed by the recomendation to regress. Unfortunately it is not an easy thing to go back a revision. The bit that annoys me was i held off upgrading till after RSTechedstep here in Australia because the I big thing I wanted to know from the assembled gurus was is there any problems with upgrading to version 4. I was told no, it is a seamless upgrade with no major bugs. The reason I wanted to upgrade was it allows me to create runtimes in previous versions. I try not to criticise for small oversites with software but this is a big one that I cannot see how it got through beta testing. Version 3.2 was very stable and in my opinion the best HMI I have used. Regards Alan Case

Alan Case said:
yeah, I read the same tech note and was a bit amazed by the recomendation to regress. Unfortunately it is not an easy thing to go back a revision. The bit that annoys me was i held off upgrading till after RSTechedstep here in Australia because the I big thing I wanted to know from the assembled gurus was is there any problems with upgrading to version 4. I was told no, it is a seamless upgrade with no major bugs. The reason I wanted to upgrade was it allows me to create runtimes in previous versions. I try not to criticise for small oversites with software but this is a big one that I cannot see how it got through beta testing. Version 3.2 was very stable and in my opinion the best HMI I have used. Regards Alan Case

Alan,

I am always reluctant to upgrade software that is relatively stable and working fine. I am, in fact, still using version 3.1. If I upgrade to 3.2 what issues will I have? Do I have to upgrade the firmware on any PV Plus that I have programmed in the past before downloading to it using 3.2?

From what I have been told 3.2 is a lot more stable then 3.1 and you do need to upgrade the firmware to 3.2, but if 3.1 ia working OK I would leave it at that until a patch comes out for 4.00. Then with 4.00 you can make runtime files of any version you require.
Regards Alan

Since I found this thread talking about version 3.2 to 4.0, I'll just hijack this one instead of creating my own.......

I'm told by our distributor that to use a Panelview Plus with a micrologix 1100 I need to be using version 4.0.... So I've installed version 4.0.

Are there any issues associated with opening projects written in an earlier version with the later version software? I know that you can create the runtime for an earlier version.....
But has anyone run into issues with upgrading a project from version 3.1(or 3.0) to version 4.0?
I can open my existing projects, and get the warning message that by doing so I am automatically converting it to version 4. If I save them as a version 4 project am I going to need to change anything about the project?
I do know that there are at least some differences..... Because when I "test" the project, when I look at certain screens I now get pop-up alarms saying things like "clx processor packet ox3cd870 failed to read....." But only on one screen. Are these messages going to go away if I create the runtime in the proper version?

I am writing my own project for the ML1100, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be compomising my earlier projects with any version issues.

Last edited:
Hi, I had no problems converting programs from 3.x to 4 but when you do convert and make a backup then the backup cannot be opened and used by any one with version 3 software.
Another big gotcha is that the RSView ME cannot direct browse to the tag in an ML1100 so you have to type in all the adresses ie
::[name_of_processor]N7:0

Regards Alan Case

And i thought it was my computer that was bogging down when trying to do off line programming..(I just upgraded to v4 about 2 weeks ago..:(