Pressure Transducer

bdt124

I've never done this so any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to use a 4-20mA pressure transducer to measure the pressure of a hydraulic cylinder on a press type machine. The min and max pressures are 250 - 1000 psi. I'm using a micrologix 1500 controller and have a 1769-IA16 Analog input module already interfaced to the PLC. Is there someway to interface the 4-20mA output of the transducer to the input of the card? Would i need a seperate DC power supply for the transducer?

Thanks!
Brian

If I got that all setup, would the rest just be a matter of connecting the transducer to the module and scaling the current to the pressure?

I'm using a micrologix 1500 controller and have a 1769-IA16 Analog input module

Think you'll need a 1769-IF4 for the ML1500..... I think the IA16 is a 120VAC input module.

The rest is pretty straight forward. Use the SCP (Scale with Parameters) instruction to set your limits ie 250 psi=4mA - 1000psi=20mA.

Don't see loading an issue if thats all your driving......(y)

The 1769-IA16 is indeed a 120 VAC discrete input module. You will get some interesting, but not good, results.

The manual for the analog input card shows the electrical connections required. Make sure you read it well.