Slc 5/05 Eeprom

Greg Dake

There is a SLC 5/05 currently running one of our process systems. I need to know if it has an EEPROM module in it or not. Is there any way to tell by looking at the offline or online file for that processor? I cannot power it down to pull it out and look at it. I assumed it would be somewhere in the status file, but it isn't, at least no way to tell if one is installed or not. I could also try to upload to EEPROM while online with the processor, but this would put it into program mode...no good at the moment. I thought there was a way to tell, but maybe not.

Greg

The only method I know of is to read the Mem Module tab in the Processor Status. If any of the fields are set a 1 then you have a module. Or at least, there is SUPPOSED to be a module.

However, the absence of a 1 in any of the fields does not mean no module exists, it just isn't being used at power-up.

I just ran a compare of a file on my hard drive that did not expect a EEPROM and compared that to the same file in a running SLC where I inserted a module (just to test this out). It did not show any differences.

OG

Open up the offline file or go online and go to the MemModule tab under Processor status, if it is configured to load from the module, there's a good chance you have one installed. However, just because it isn't configured, doesn't mean it isn't installed.

Ken

edit:
OG beat me too it.(y)

Thanks for the responses.....No, there are all zeros under the "mem module" tab.....but as Ken points out this doesn't mean there isn't one installed. Sounds like my instincts were correct, there doesn't appear to be a certain way of knowing without interrupting the process.

Greg

Greg,

On the SLC500, while online, I have often determined if an EEPROM is present by simply trying to store the program to the EEPROM ("Comms, EEPROM, Store to EEPROM") If one is not there a message pops up saying one is not present. If it is, you have an option to cancel the operation.

Yes, I know Lancie.....but doesn't this switch to program mode? I'm now at home, can't test on the bench, hehe.....Thanks for the input....Usually there's always a prompt before it switches to run mode...

Greg