pic

john156cm

Hi, all I purchased a used pic, and a used slc 500 for practice at home. The problem is when I try to communicate using rslinx gateway with baud rate set at 9600 it shows the pic not running and scan showed no connection. I am new to this so there will be alot of questions.
thanks, john

i have a few questions for you? i'm assuming you are using rslogix500 as your programming software correct me if i'm wrong. How are you connecting??

You got this PIC used. The obvious FIRST question is:

Are you sure it's good?

(I had my PIC forever and once had to repair the ribbon cable due to a break from flexing it over years of constant use.)

Also, if you got it from eBay or some other auction site, be sure to review the listing. A lot of the technical stuff sold there is "as is"...

Well, RSLogix isn't the issue yet. If RSLinx isn't working, nothing else will.

Have you tried 19.2Kb? That is supposed to be the default for the SLC processors.

Are you using Windows XP or Windows 2000? If so then be aware there are compatibility issues. You will need to select the "Reserve COM port..." option. This will conflict with anything else on your PC trying to use the serial port. Deleting the driver will likely be the only way to free the serial port and it may require a reboot.

The PIC is ugly in 2000/XP.

Can you test the PIC with hardware at work?

OG

Last edited:
First question... Is the PIC connected to a 'real' serial port? The PIC will not work with a USB to serial adapter, period.

🍻

-Eric

P.S. Isn't the 'default' baud rate 19200?... :unsure:

If you use XP .the xp tend to run as service.go to the rs-linx control panel and change it.
19.2k is the default of the pic I guesses your PLC is set for that.
As Eric wrote if you do not have real port dont waste your time.

Another thought...

The PIC gets its power from the PLC side, so if it's not connected, or the PLC supply is dead, the PIC will not be seen.

🍻

-Eric

I thougt a PIC was a small postage stamp plc/processor unit, that was programmed in basic or something like that.

Am I connfused, or are you talking about something allen Bradley has that I haven't heard of.

While I am only "yards" across the border, news, or even history, don't get here very fast.

Thanks, Del

Del Monte said:
I thougt a PIC was a small postage stamp plc/processor unit, that was programmed in basic or something like that.
Thanks, Del

I think you have it confused with the PICO, a programmable 'smart' relay.

a PIC is a standard comms device for interfacing with SLCs & MicroLogix controllers....I prefer the UIC though.

I'm sure he did mean 'PIC' which (besides being the communications interface being discussed here) is also a line of programmable micorcontrollers from Microchip Corporation. They can be programmed in their low level code or using a 'PIC BASIC' compiler. Great for hobby work. Jameco has a load of them.

Thanks for the info.
I have a newer laptop, So it did not come with a parrallel or rs232. Should of known at this time buy a used older module. But I did get lucky and wouldn't you know the pcmk b ser. card would work (1,000.00 used). So at this point I decided thats ok I just need to buy a port replicator with a connection for rs232 and parallel. So I did. Then acquired software. Then bought a used slc500 with the AB Personal Interface Convertor ( not to confuse this with a pico ) PIC. The cables seem fine no harsh creases in the ribbon or breaks, and locks into place. I am running windows XP using Linx gateway ( this would be the communication software for the ones that are confused). I already changed the configuration in linx not to run as a service. And yes the factory default is 19200 and tried that but then went to 9600 baud rate but no luck. Also tried switching coms from 1 (being the lowest option to 4) and still nothing. Set the max station to 31 and browsed and no node could be found. I hope this puts me a little further ahead to find an answer. The pic does register in configurations but shows not running and yes connected to the slc with power on everything.

the pcmk b ser. card would work

if you have a working PCMK/B card, then a good (better?) solution than a port-replicator-PIC setup would probably have been a 1784-PCM4/B cable ... you can find some info here on page 7-1 ...

I sent you a PM with an "I'll give you a call" offer ... but I see that you've just gone offline ... I'll be back online tomorrow morning if you still need help ... if you can have the equipment handy, we'll try to work through it ...

good luck ...