InTouch runtime discovery of tag types

sryan

Hi all,

Is it possible in InTouch V8.0 (or any version for that matter) to discover the type of a tag at runtime, or whether that tag exists in the database?

For example, I'd like a general function to write a value to a tag, without having to know a priori what type that tag is. Something like the following:

CALL WriteTag(TAG_REAL.Name, "123");
CALL WriteTag(TAG_MSG.Name, "hello, world!");

WriteTag would accept two MESSAGE args, msgTagname and msgValue. The code would look something like this:

IF TagExists(msgTagname) THEN
IF IsMessage(msgTagname) THEN
TAG_INDIRECT_MSG.Name = msgTagname;
TAG_INDIRECT_MSG = msgValue;
ELSE IF IsReal(msgTagname) OR IsInteger(msgTagname) THEN
TAG_INDIRECT_ANA.Name = msgTagname;
TAG_INDIRECT_ANA = StringToReal(msgValue);
ELSE IF IsDiscrete(msgTagname) THEN
TAG_INDIRECT_DSC.Name = msgTagname;
TAG_INDIRECT_DSC = StringToIntg(msgValue);
ENDIF; ENDIF; ENDIF;
ENDIF;

Do these magical functions TagExists, IsMessage, IsReal, etc. exist? Can I cobble them together somehow? I'm willing to write an external DLL if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

The function TagExists(Tagname) will give you the info that you need:
If the tag does not exist a negative value will be returned. If the tag does exist, the the value 1 will be returned for a discrete tag, the value 2 will be returned for an integer tag, the value 3 will be returned for a real tag, and the value 4 will be returned for a message tag.

You can also use the function ITTagType(Tagname). Look for it in the ww knowledgebase.

Thanks, Dave! That's exactly what I need.

Y'know, I went back to Wonderware's website and searched for TagExists and ITTagType, drew a blank on both. I didn't even think to look through the knowledge base CD, I assumed all that would be available on the website.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response- it really helped me out.

Steve