S7 indirect addressing examples?

Johnny T

Hi

I'm going to be showing a few lads the basics of indirect addressing this week. I need to teach them about pointers etc and wondered if you had any ideas for examples/tasks I could set them.

The last example I'll be building up to will be to get them to write some code that will monitor a word whereby each bit represents a fault on a machine and cycling fault messages on an OP7 display.

So.. detect that bit M70.0 is set and show the relevant message for 2 seconds, then check M70.1, M70.2 etc until you find one that is set and display the relevant message for 2 seconds before moving on.

Anyone got any other idea's of task/examples etc that I could get them to do or incorporate into my talk to them?

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Cheers

JT :)

Simon, thanks for the link. I think the FC397 you posted may be a bit beyond their scope but I might try and simplify it down for them.

Many thanks.

JT