Rumor about PLCs.net expansion - Is it true?

Phil Melore

Administrator
Hi Folks,

Have you heard the latest rumor about PLCs.net?
The one about us expanding the site again?

The one about us revolutionizing PLC learning on the internet... again?

Well I can confirm it's true. On Monday, November 7, 2005 we will add another tool to the PLCs.net family. :p A revolutionary tool. A FREE tool.

A fully functional online PLC simulator
. You will be able to write a plc program... online. You will then be able to run the program and watch the results live. Change it. Run it again. Save it. Etc... Nothing to download.

It has all the features you expect from a plc simulation program... plus the benefit of being online and FREE for anyone to use. Nothing to download.

Write a ladder program. Test the ladder program. Save the ladder program on our server OR your local computer.

More details to follow soon. In the meantime...put November 7 on your calendar.(y)

Enjoy,

A screenshot...

Here's a really bad screenshot... (on purpose :whistle: )

plcsimulator.gif

Looks awesome Phil!

Let me ask, How does it feel to have such an important and successful site?

The job you are doing with this is unbelievable.

Drewcrew6

Phil

GOOD news
If you had had that six months ago I would not have had to spend tuition

BAD news
Send tuition refund.

I think this is a really neat thing.

Dan Bentler

Looks great, Phil... (y)

Will we be able to save the programs written on it? If so, this might make a great 'example logic' display as well. Instead of the static examples we post (ASCII ladder, screenshots, etc.), we could post examples that run on this 'generic' PLC that everyone can use. That would make it much easier for someone to understand what's happening, which in turn would make it easier to translate to their specific brand of PLC... :cool:

EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read the post... šŸ™ƒ

Anxiously awaiting Nov. 7th... :confused:

šŸ»

-Eric

Last edited:
Your idea is definitely possible. You will be able to save the program on the server(in your own special directory) or locally on your own computer. If it's posted here, anyone will be able to run it on the simulator.

There will also be a section added to the downloads area for plcs.net simulation programs for everyone to upload/download samples and learn from.

I'm in process of creating the online help files now(with motion and sound, hence my previous sound availability poll/thread...).

It will be a fun experience getting it going....

Enjoy,

In my opinion
1 Dont waste time on sound I generally turn it off anyway.
2. Give me a good PLC simulator that can do sequencer, PID and other more complicated "stuff"
3. Cook book step by step procedure to build the sequencer and other more complicated stuff.

Dan Bentler

Wow, excellent.

Steve Bailey said:
Phil,

As someone who has played around a little with writing a PLC simulator, I can appreciate the effort that must have gone into the creation of your new tool. Congratulations. I can hardly wait to see it.

As someone is envolved with more than just playing around with a PLC editor I am impressed. I know this takes a lot of time. This must be a labor of love.

There have been many that have wanted to write a PLC editor They pop up about once every 3 months. They have no clue how much effort and knowledge it takes. The rest of you must believe me that writing a PLC editor/simulator is far more difficult than writing a ladder program itself.

It will be interesting to see all features of the PLC editor/simulator.

Will you include some sample programs for rookies, like, um, for example, let's see, wait, I got it, how to control traffic lights in an intersection. What do you think??? :rolleyes: