Modicon

I just started a new job where we have a bunch of Modicon TSX Momentum Controllers. I was handed a laptop with some old DOS software named MODSOFT 2.62. Is there any modern software that I can get to access these controllers? Will I need a conversion program in order to read my current machine programs?

Proworx32 is problematic software (at least it was for us)
ProworxNXT was much better. We eventually ditched Proworx32 and went back to NXT.

FasTraK Softworks Inc has PLC workshop-32 for Modicon. http://www.fas-soft.com

Alaric said:
Proworx32 is problematic software (at least it was for us)
ProworxNXT was much better. We eventually ditched Proworx32 and went back to NXT.

FasTraK Softworks Inc has PLC workshop-32 for Modicon. http://www.fas-soft.com

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. First version was so bad I also had to retreat to NXT. Recently I received v2.0 and on the surface they've cleaned up a lot of the annoyances in the UI. No complaints so far.

Last edited:
IMO, Proworx32 1.0 was stupid to release as it was. It seriously hurt the product line.

I'm no longer willing to tread in the land of Modicon software. We have just two 984's left (replace one this year) and plan to replace the remaining one as well, 1 next year, the other in '07.

As Alaric mentioned, FasTrak SoftWorks, does have a 32 Bit Windows application for the Modicon PLC line of controllers. We have a Full Family package as well as a Lite package that supports just the smaller PLCs, including your Momentum. Feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to answer any questions. Our PLC WorkShop for Modicon - 32 Bit has been proven in the market as a 32 bit Windows application for over 5 years already. Note that Alarics link was missing the "t"
Jim R.
[email protected]
262.238.8088 x1062
www.fast-soft.com

Try using Modsoft

I still use Modsoft on 984, Quantum, Momentum ...
As long as you are running Win 98 or earlier that can access the serial port while in Dos mode, you can check out the ladder logic, make on-line changes, print hard copies.
It is very functional and bug-free.
If you have any Modsoft questions, just post here.

Brian.

jerrydesaulniers said:
I just started a new job where we have a bunch of Modicon TSX Momentum Controllers. I was handed a laptop with some old DOS software named MODSOFT 2.62. Is there any modern software that I can get to access these controllers? Will I need a conversion program in order to read my current machine programs?

First off..my condoldencies on having to use cheap grabage on a job, (Just my opinion on the Momentum line). Modsoft 2.62 takes a little getting used to if you are used to the windows based softawre but there is nothing wrong with it. It will do the job (Just remember ALT Z if you are using any analog inputs..you have to configure the module)

Also as a heads up the analog outs are NOT isolated..be prepared to by some Isolators!!

Any thing else..ask away..

(BTW prowork NxT is not available anymore..you have to go to Proworx32 or concept...approx 7 or 8 grand Canadian last time i checked (about 4 months ago)..However they do have a trade up program..Its about half the cost but you surennder your licence for modsoft..

D

Modsoft was the programming package for Modicon's 984 Ladder Logic language. You can not use Unity and it would be a waste of time to go to Concept.

The operating program in the Momentum is 984LL so there is no conversion required if you go to any other 984LL software. However, the documentation like symbols, comments, and labels usually have to be converted.

I'm trying my best with MODSOFT, this stuff is a real nightmare. I have some outputs that display way out in the middle of the screen that have no reference to the power bar on the left hand side of the ladder logic. I know one of the conditions to enable this output comes from the panelmate but I cant even find this referenced in the program. I wonder how I can trace this condition?

Outputs (0xxxx) or coils should only be seen at far right of network.
If the coil is energized but no power on rung, is it disbled?
use arrow key to move cursor to Reference Data area.
type in coil 0xxxxx and hit enter.

should display

0xxxxxx discription 0 (or 1) E (or D)

if it displays 1 and D then the coil has been disabled and forced on.

To change move cursor over D and enter E

When coil is disabled you can change the force to on (1) or off (0) by typing 1 or 0 over the 1 or 0 displayed.

If the coil is being written directly from the Panelmate, you may want to download the panelmate configuration and check what functions control it.
Do you have the Panelmate Configuration software?

Another thing you might want to check is if you are in "State Flow" mode. If you are there is a red 'state' indicator on the top between F3 and F4. When this is on rungs show power when they would solve true if powered. When it is off (Alt O) you see the true power flow. This doesn't affect coils but just a thought.

Don't get discouraged,
Brian.

Last edited:
984LL does not care if devices are connected to the left hand rail in the network. You are allowed to put contacts or coils almost anywhere you want and they will reflect their state as seen by the processor. I have created networks of nothing but contacts for a quick view of specific address during troubleshooting.

Modsoft (and most other software packages) can be "customized" to show the position of coils as they are logically solved or force them to be always displayed in the right hand column. Modsoft has a seperate .UPF (user preference) file for customizing it's appearance.

Sliver said:
Outputs (0xxxx) or coils should only be seen at far right of network.

No so in Modicon 984LL.
The output coil is placed in the column in which it is solved, however, no additional logic can appear to the right of it.

Modicon 984LL networks are solved not by row, but by column - vertically down the first column, then up to the top of the second column and then veritcally down again.

In Proworx there is an option to display the output coils in either the solve column or the last column (in which case it is preceeded by a dotted line instead of a solid line) however, regardless of how the coil is displayed, it is still always solved in the column in which it is actually placed.

I do not know if the display option is offered in ModSoft