S7 Ethernet programming query

Hugh

I'm a complete newcomer to Siemens PLCs. I'm trying to get STEP7 (version 5.1) to talk to an S7-300 with a 343 ethernet card in it. I can ping the ethernet card but I get no ethernet comms option in the STEP7 set PG/PC interface dialog.

I've searched this site and others but not found a definitive answer. My best guess from my research is that I need a later version of STEP5 or I need another piece of software (Softnet) to be able to program the S7 from my laptop.

Any guidance will be greatfully received!

Hugh

When you are in the Set PG/PC Interface menu, there should be a "Add Interfaces" selection. You should see your 10/100 Ethernet card in your computer there?

Thanks for the reply.

The only options I see in the Set PG/PC interface are Profibus/MPI connections eg

CP5511
CP5611
PC Adaptor

Hugh

I believe you are right about the software version. You may need to upgrade to v5.2 Step 7. I would need someone to confirm this however...

I think you need to have SIMATIC NET installed on your PC

This is a add on to S7 V5.1 and V5.2

However, I believe that is included in version 5.3

Ian

Programming via Ethernet came in v5.2.
Your options are:
1. Upgrade STEP7.
2. or Install Simatic Softnet Ethernet
3. or Install Simatic Softnet Ethernet LEAN.

Hugh

I have a question for you.....

Has the S7 300 previously had the configuration/program downloaded to it via MPI?

If I remember correctly, you can download the program and configuration to a 'virgin' PLC via ethernet using the MAC address of the CP343, but I believe it is a pain in the butt to do.

I am sure this has been discussed on this forum previously, I expect S7Guy was involved. Perhaps a search for "MAC address" would turn up the result.

Paul

If I remember correctly, you can download the program and configuration to a 'virgin' PLC via ethernet using the MAC address of the CP343, but I believe it is a pain in the butt to do.
No no. It is easy.
There is an "Assign Ethernet Address" utility in STEP7. With that you can easily assign the IP address by means of the MAC address that is printed on the module.
From then on it is smooth sailing.

JesperMP said:
No no. It is easy.

I'll take your word for that Jesper.

This is also something that I haven't tried out, I haven't had the need to as I only use Field PG's for programming, MPI and DP built in.

Paul