Little Help For A Newbie?

fromcincy

I recently took a position with a retrofitter, that uses PLC exclusivley. Its all new stuff, AB 504, so its all trouble shooting new circuits and programs. I have a very basic knowledge of the ladder, but am very strong in the "Machine side" of the control. My background is CNC, but its all been Mazatrol, siemens, Fanuc, Haas G-Code etc. I lloked over the basic information portion or self tutor, which ever you want to call it, on this sight, but doesn't really go indepth enough. Problem I have is employeer is balking at funding the training, as he has been burnt in the past, and I am not in a position financialy to hit the Jr. College, or buy a tutor program.

Does anybody have knowledge of any resources on the web to learn thees critters .

Thanx

GERRY

Thanx to all, found a wealth of knowledge at the above posted sites. Also stumbled upon an online version of a manual by Hugh Jack. Looks like this is what I need.

GERRY

I'm gonna make a suggestion... If you employer uses all AB stuff, try to pry a unit out of him so you can take it home and play with it. Learning on a REAL PLC will greatly shorten the learning curve. There's nothing like being trained on the equipment your going to be using.

Gerry,

Mike has a good idea, the boss should see that you need a spare 'in-case'.
Might have to run home to get it, but...

Good to see another CNC oriented guy here. We get a few CNC probs from time to time, and I don't have all the answers.

Rod(The OTHER CNC Dude)

I agree with Mike. Get an Allen-Bradley SLC 500 (505, 504, 503, 502, 501 in order of preference for learning) and also borrow a copy of RSLogix from your boss. RSLogix has some great learning tools, sample programs, help screens, and SLC Instruction Help. Example:
XIC (Examine if Closed)
Use with processors:All SLC and MicroLogix processors
Example of Instruction: (Parameters shown are examples only, your data will vary.)
Description
This instruction (also called "examine off" or "normally closed") functions as an input or storage bit. If the corresponding memory bit is a "1" (on), this instruction will not allow rung continuity and outputs on its rung will be de-energized (Note Other factors may affect rung continuity). If the corresponding memory bit is a "0" (off), this instruction will assume its normal status and allow rung continuity and outputs on the rung will be energized (Again, other factors can influence rung continuity). If used as an input bit, its status should correspond to the status of real world input devices tied to the input image table by the identical addresses.
Rockwell Software 2000