Dh485

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Just wondering is it possible to cable from the DH485 (RJ45 style) port of an AB 503 to a Panelview 600 (DH485 model with an RJ45 style plug) without using an NetAic etc. The units are in the same panel, the network will never be expanded, the DH485 will never be needed for programming access etc. If so does anyone have a pinout of the ends of the cable as I very much doubt the standard ethernet cable will work. Regards Alan Case

Alan,

I have already coupled a 5/03 directly from the RJ45 connector to an DH-485 network. The only problem that could occur is when the two (5/03 and Panelview) have a different ground level. The main task of the NetAIC is to optically isolate the 5/03 from the DH-485 bus. If there is no need to isolate the two partners, I'm almost sure you can connect them directly with a straight-through patch type cable. But I would surely check the ground levels of the two before connecting them.

When I was experimenting with the direct connection I used the information of this knowledge base page.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. It looks like it is the C13 cable I require, but the knowledge base article states "IMPORTANT NOTE: The 1747-C13 Cable has the "DRAIN" & "BROWN" missing"
which according to Rockwell is pin 3 & 6.
Now is pin 3 and 6 according to the numbering system for a standard ENET patch cable or something different.

Regards Alan Case

Alan,

as far as I know the numbering of the pins on a RJ45 connector is standardized, so yes the pins 3 and 6 according to Rockwell are the same as the pins 3 and 6 on a standard ethernet patch cable. You can find more info about the patchcable and the connector on the 'hardware book' website.

Kind regards,

I have direct-connected 5/03's and DH-485 PanelViews numerous times without AIC/AIC+. The only time I used AIC/AIC+ was if I had more than 2 nodes on the network. CAUTION: NEVER CONNECT THE RJ-45 PORT OF A SLC TO YOUR P.C.'s NETWORK (NIC) CARD RJ-45. TWO PINS ON THE SLC CONNECTOR CARRY +24VDC WHICH WILL DESTROY YOU NETWORK CARD.
You probably have enough sense to know that, but I've had 2 customers do just that this year, and 3 more that connected their PCMK card to a MicroLogix with the round mini-din DH+ adapter. All resulted in broken P.C.'s/MicroLogix.