A good visualisation

martin3885

Hi,
I am not sure if my question is proper, because maybe there is no one certain answer for it, but...
is there in www availiable a description, or a tutorial how to develope a good visualisation? I mean not how to develope a visualisation in one certain software(ie. WinCC) but how to write a program and visualisation together. For instance is it better to create one DB to store all the parameters for visualisation, or is it better to visualise them as they are used in a program? What should I avoid writting a visualisation... etc.

If there is no such a description, I would be greateful for any advices and hints.

regards.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I tried to understand what your asking but Im not sure I do?

Can you re - phrase what you would like help with please.

Martin,

I have no information about guidelines to set up a visualisation (if anybody knows one, I'll be glad to look in to it) but what I always take great care of is the choice of colours used. Screens that an operator has to use all the time should be made in soft colour combinations, while it is OK to use red bold text on a yellow background if you want to attrack attention almost instantly. Also consider the colourblind people.

As for the use of a single DB with all the variables needed in it or using the loose variables in the program: it depends. If you have slow communication, say S5 over the programming port (9600baud), I would try to gather the data in one block. If you have a fairly fast connection and a small PLC with almost all memory used: use the loose variables. If you have a small PLC with almost all memory used and a slow connection, then you could have a problem.
To be short: if you can spend the memory to collect all data in one single block: do it, you'll save on the overhead.

Kind regards,

Hi Martin,

I dont have anything really to add, But i sympathise with your situation, At one stage all of my HMI programs where all text panels and single colour, I'm now moving into colour Touch panels and Runtime stuff. I'm forever messing with visualizations and am never happy with them, Maybe it all comes together with experience?

jvdcande brings up some excellent points i hadnt considered though especially the colour blind aspect

Regards