Hi! Im a newbie to the plc thing and need some help wiring up my "first PLC" :P

ringox1

Hi! Im a newbie to the plc thing and need some help wiring up my "first PLC" :p

The plc I have is a AB micrologix 1000 it runs off a seperate 24dc supply. I've got all the inputs sorted out. But im concerned about the grounding terminal on the plc its self. Do I wire it upto the power supplys earth which is in turn connected to the mains earthing system. Or do i wire it to the negative part of the powere supplys input as is done in cars?

This is proably a really dumb question but please im just starting :p

ringox1 said:
The plc I have is a AB micrologix 1000 it runs off a seperate 24dc supply. I've got all the inputs sorted out. But im concerned about the grounding terminal on the plc its self. Do I wire it upto the power supplys earth which is in turn connected to the mains earthing system. Or do i wire it to the negative part of the powere supplys input as is done in cars?

This is proably a really dumb question but please im just starting :p

It gets connected to the mains earthing system.
In a typical control panel, you have a ground bar that has a single wire to the mains earthnig system and seperate wires to each device that needs a ground. Daisy-chaining grounds is not good practice.

The ground bar is also usually bonded to the panel metal (with bolts/screws and removed paint from the panel subplate)

The MicroLogix 1000 seems to be more sensitive to noise than most; if you can, oversize the ground wire to AWG 14. I haven't found that written down anywhere, but AB's tech support folks have been telling people to do it.

The manual explains wiring: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

This picture is a NOTE in that manual:
abground.jpg