WoePC

Greetings Gurus!

I've got an Entivity VLC (Steeplechase) install that I am trying to communicate to by OPC from a remote computer. Purely data collection, no writes, all reads. The VLC machine is Windows XP SP1, the remote is Windows 2003 Server.

Problem is, in order to keep our factory LAN safe from viruses - and the VLC compuker from being infected by SP2 - we removed the computer from the factory LAN. It talks to the server by a separate LAN connection, and is addressible by IP address only.

VLC has a native OPC server. Using Matrikon's OPC Explorer (a most useful program) I can browse and add tags all I like within the VLC machine. When I try to get in from the server, I can't get a connection.

So I have two questions, really, for anyone who might have done something similiar in the past:

1. What steps can I take to get these computers talking? I've tried using the same account on both PCs, I've taken steps to cripple DCOM. I can access the computer by LAN and browse the C-drive, so the connections are sound, but VLC OPC server still won't respond. Does anybody have a procedure for this?

2. Does anyone know if VLC can be set up in such a manner as to be readable from a Modbus server? My Matrikon software never gives me these problems...

Thanks!

TM

Sorry that I can not offer any help or encouragement.

My experience is that the factory support will not be worth the effort, and local support from a distributor is worse.

I was fighting Windows NT at the time.

I gave up, and let the machine integrator try and solve it.

My experience when I was confronted with SteepleChase and it's communications problems was not good. I recommended they pull out the SC stuph, and hardware, and put in a 9030 rack.

After a few years of trying to get the System to work and Steeple Chase not having any success either, the machine was scrapped. A few years later, it was brought out again, and equipped with PLC's, and has worked flawlessly since.

hope it works out for you!

best regards.....casey

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom