AB2711-NM14 Memory cards

fareast

F
Hi,
Does anyone have any info on the use of AB flash memory cards ? Originally according to AB (and RS components) these cards can be dealt with by a standard Cardservices compliant PCMCIA slot , and indeed are recogonised as an ATA flash memory card , but they cannot be read from or written to , and only seem suitable to be written be a PanelView terminal , can anyone help with this ,
Thanks

As I understand them, the 2711-NM11, 12, 13, and 14 cards are "Linear Flash" type, not ATA type. A-B chose that type of memory card for use with the Enhanced and Classic PanelView terminals because they're much faster for random access, and those type of terminals used them as RAM, for running large application programs.

Windows doesn't generally provide drivers for Linear Flash cards; the last type of PCMCIA drive I saw that worked with these cards were called "DataBook".

Are you trying to use these cards with Classic, Enhanced, or Standard PanelView terminals ?

Hi,
thanks for that - I had taken a look at the website(AB) and come to the same conclusion -that they must be used with a dedicated PCMCIA card drive , but I had wondered if there was a cheat , as I saw that RS components were selling these cards again as being "Explorer Compatable" , implying that they (possibly now a true ATA flash variety)where cardservices compatible . I used these cards on a project involving PV1000's , and they where fine -I couldn't tell you if the hardware was standard/enhanced/classic . As I had ten of these cards left over , I had hoped that I might be able to use them for other things - Obviously not to be!
Thanks for the advise.

The newer PanelView memory cards, with part numbers like 2711-NM22, -NM23, and -NM24 are ATA compatible FLASH memory cards, and they will work only with the Standard PanelView terminals (like the PV1000) where they are used for application and font backup, but not with the Classic or Enhanced PanelViews that require a linear Flash memory for speed of on-card execution.

I almost always use a CompactFlash ATA card in a PCMCIA Type II carrier these days; they're cheap on the mass market and are much handier than getting out a serial cable to download to the terminal.

got one.

The 2711-NM14, Series B that I have in my shop has a
laser-ed information block from Intel:

iMC004FLSA-15 A8300136J

Perhaps you'll have better luck drilling down Intel's
web site than I did.

And, yes, I seem to remember going down this road once
myself...

Hi ,
Yes , my cards have similar ID's , and after phoning Intel and going round in little circles , they said that as the cards where provided for an outside OEM , they were unable to provide any info whatsoever . They would not even give a hint as to a suitable driver , and these cards surely must be able to be accessed provided a suitable device driver was used . For the present time they are only of use for machine packing.