SLC500 Comms to Ultra 3000 Drive

Tony Leight

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with RS232 comms between an SLC500 and an Ultra 3000 indexing drive.

I am trying to set up a drive to index different distances with the distance to index being sent from the PLC. I have managed to manipulate the the figures I need to send and create the correct ascii string ( For a distance of 5120 pulses I believe this should be :010AF100140092^M )but I am having trouble getting the drive to read these values. This is the only function I want the comms to do as I would like the control of the indexes from digital inputs and also to be able to select a jog function on the drive.

The drive also has a host command window which I have been using to try and write my distances straight into the index 0 setup distance, but this doesn't seem to be working either.

If anyone could help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

I have a machine that uses a Quartech module that communicates to Ultra 100 and 200 servo amps. It reads values from the PLC5 via DH+ and writes the numbers to the drives. I have heard that doing this with serial comms via ladder logic can get very complex. According to their website, this unit will talk to Ultra 3000 drives.

QUARTECH P/N 9112-0-1

http://www.quartechcorp.com/products.htm