OT: License???

plcnewbie

I live in Pennsylvania and was wondering if anyone knows how to go about obtaining an electrician license? I have an associates degree in elecronics with my emphasis being in PLC/IP. I currently am employed as a controls tech but am interested in making myself more valuable and believe in continued training even if it is not currently needed in my current job.

Please advise me.

-The Newbie

There can be differences depending on location, in many cases you go thru IBEW/NECA Apprentice and Journeyman training process. The NJATC http://www.njatc.org/ will provide information on the process. This is the process to follow for installation, lineman etc licensing. This is usually a 4 year process where you learn while employed that combines OJT and classes. This type of training is usually valid anywhere and easily transfered.

There are numerous training classes and seminars available that can "educate" you on electrical but not offer the "license" to actually do installations.

I stated it varies from state to state. In some cases it is possible to obtain training and a contractors license that would allow you to do wiring installation depending on the level of your licensing. In Tennessee, where I lived, all you had to do was pay $150 and take a code test.

I am not sure if its the same in East Tennessee, Davidson and Williamson county are kinda entities unto theirselves. I went and got it but it has to be renewed so its run out now. This was more of a contractor's card but it licensed you to do electrical installation work. In that area most of the technical schools offered a training course (more of a seminar) and sometimes testing included...it was really too easy and too cheap.

Plcnewbie....Ron's right it depends on the state. I hold a N.C. limited electrical contractors lic. It required 2 years expierence [Either by years or 2000 hours and school only counts 80% } and a 100 question test. Talk to an instructor at your local community college. They may have all the info and maybe the paperwork you need.

Later....Todd