ab converter 1747-PIC

indra

I have just bought the AB interface converter type 1747-PIC complete with cable ( 1747-C10 ) and 9pin to 25pin ADAPTER. I want to use this interface for communication between SLC500 30point FIXED CONTROLLER ( 1747-L30A ) and the problem is, CAN I USE THIS COMMUNICATION CABLE ( 1747-PIC ) FOR ONLINE WITH USING RSLOGIX500 SOFTWARE AND ALSO FOR UPLOAD, DOWNLOAD AND ONLINE EDIT ?

Actually, I have tried many times to online edit or edit in offline then transfer it but always failed. If I use the wrong type of software, please inform me the right one.

Regards,

INDRA

Hi

On kine edits exist only for slc500 5/03 and above.
The fix model do not have on line edits.
if you use PIC with slc500 5/03 you can make changes on line with out any problems.

I have tried many times to online edit or edit in offline then transfer it but always fail
It sounds like you can go online, but you cannot download.
Is there an error message when you attempt to download ?

It doesnt help you at all now, but the PIC has allways been problematic. There is a new device that uses USB (1747-UIC) in stead of serial. It should be much easier to get working on new computers. And it costs the same as the 1747-PIC.

Jesper

I think the UIC might be worste then the PIC.According to my experience.

Indra
Do you see yor PLC on the RS Link?
Do you familiar with the driver configuration?
I think this might be your problem.
Do you have real serial port?

Jesper

From my short experience USB adapters are kind of gambling.Sometime it work sometime is not.
It depend on the divice and the adapter and the OS and your luck.
I would stick the real port as long as I can.

The PIC module will not work with Windows XP. As posted earlier, the UIC module will work with Windows XP.

If you have a computer running Windows 98 or ME, the PIC module should work. Make sure that you have the PIC module configured correctly in RSLinx.

If you are running Windows XP, concider getting the UIC module or the PCMK PCMCIA module.

maybe I'm just lucky today ...

The PIC module will not work with Windows XP.

that's not 100% true swimmy ... I just tried it on my system and it works ok ... I did get a couple of "error" type warnings while setting up the driver - but when I ignored them, everything installed and worked fine ...

just for the record ...

I'm running Windows XP Pro - version 2002 - with Service Pack 1 ...

and RSLinx version 2.41 ...

connected through a "real-live-honest-to-goodness" serial port ...

through a 1747-PIC ...

to an SLC-5/02 processor ...

online ... and chugging right along ...

maybe it's Windows XP "Home" edition that won't work? ... I've never tried that one and don't have a copy available for testing ... maybe that's the source of this particular confusion? ...

Last edited:
1747-PIC works on SOME Win XP/2000 systems.
The answer: it depends.
I have multiple XP SP1 and SP2 computers and PIC works just fine with Linx 2.43
Did not have a chance to try in Linx 2.50

It mostly depends on the computer hardware than OS.

It mostly depends on the computer hardware than OS.

thanks for the input, Contr_Conn ... the computer that I used for this particular experiment is an old "e-machines" box ... its hardware has been rebuilt many times over ... hard to say exactly what's really under the hood ... maybe the "old technology" serial port (or something else along those lines) matches up with the "old technology" PIC ... who knows? ...

final thought: if in doubt, try it out ... you'll never know for sure until you do ...