totalizer programme

rajesh_neema

I have siemens S5 plc and would like make a programme for gas flow totalizer following are the details
I have flow transmitter which outputs 4-20 mA
It has flow and totalizer mode i am getting 4-20 mA for flow and i am getting flow rate on my HMI now i would like to get it in totalizer reading over HMI
Please help

Greetings Rajesh,
Your Flowmeter sends you ( L \ min ) or ( L \ sec)

You need to know the mass that flows in a given period of time , You need a value in ( L )

So if your meter sends 4-20mA which represents:
A- L/sec:
Each sec you take the value and mutiply by one

B- L/min:
Each sec you take the value and mutiply by 60

And so on..

Now for the totalizer part:
Each second elapsed run this formula:
Total_mass = Total_mass + (flowmeter reading * 60)
assuming that it reads L / min.

This can be done with scripts which is avilable in most SCADA software packages.

Anyway, If I were you, I woudn't use my HMI for this job, I think it's not accurate (because of the delay in timing in PC hardware and software)

You can use the PLC to do the job and send the value the your HMI

Last edited:
EDIT: There are mistakes in my last post, sorry!

Flow rate (L/min) must be divided (not multplied) by 60

So the formula (Which is excuted every 1 sec) should be like this:

Total_mass = Total_mass + (flowmeter reading / 60)
assuming that it reads L / min.