Simple switch function

bist

Hi,

I got myself an AB PLC5

I was wondering. How can one make a standar switch function.

I mean when 1 press a button then the light goes on. When I press it again the light should go off.

I looked at the latch function. But it didn't do what i wanted.

What functions should I use?

Thnx in advance

What you are after is a toggle. There are a lot of ways to do this; most use a one-shot bit so the toggle only executes once when you press the button. I often use something like this (ignore the *, they are there due to formatting issues):

*****button************ toggle
|------||--------[OSR]--------()----|

***toggle*** output******* output
|----||--------||--------------(U)----|
*********|
*********|
*********| output ***** output
**********--|/|-------------(L)----|

.... Although there are a lot of other examples readily found using the search function on the title bar - use that for basic questions like this in future :) here's one to get you started...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16588&page=2&pp=15&highlight=flip+flop

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
Latch (L) and unlatch (U) is something you should use once you have
learned when and how. This is basically the same thing http://www.patchn.com/flipflop.htm

Much of the boilerplate code we use for some of our system elements use that template for flip-flops, but I prefer the latch/unlatch form because it is more readable and harder to mess up if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, I don't think I ever use latch/unlatch instructions :)

Guys, thanks a million. I'll try this.

I apologize for not using the search function. So I did not know what to look for. Now I do. It's a flipflop.

Thnx

Guys,,One last question. Sorry to be so stupid. But I have no idea how the OSR must be set

I followed the example from the link in the post above

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
could you give me an example because i'm a total newbie.

I tried the example above but error. Invalid Output instruction position!

Last edited:
Another slick way to do it in a PLC 5 is with a counter and bit zero of the counter.ACC word.

XIC I:1/0 CTU C5:0 0 0
XIC C5:0.ACC/0 OTE B3/0

Everytime a binary number increments, the least significant bit changes state.

Mickey said:
A closer look at Binaural's example, I don't think it will work.

In an AB PLC it won't work.
In a Modicon PLC it will work because the modicon solves vertically first. However, since its a PLC/5 we are talking about thats moot.