Interface_Type: Industrial_Ethernet

cakkostepen

Hi people,

I am working on a project that is done before me on a system. I have made some additions to the program and want to download the new program to the plc. But I cannot communicate with the plc. It is arrenged as an Industrial Ethernet as I understand, but I cannot communicate the S7-300 with my laptop. Please help...

cakkostepen

What version of Simatic Manager are you using?

Have you got the PG/PC interface set for ethernet?

In the "Set PG/PC interface" see what options you have available, you might have to install Simatic Softnet ethernet or upgrade your version of Simatic manager.

Paul

cakkostepen said:
For the interface I have TCP/IP's in the interface list.

Is it selected as the "Access path of the application" for S7ONLINE?

It has to be selected, not just in the list of available interfaces.

Paul

Are you sure you have the right cable? I have no idea which one to use with S7 but in some cases you have to use a crossover cable instead of a regular straight thru...or vice versa.

I would also have it connected before I started Simatic Manager...I have no idea if that is an issue but at least it would eliminate it as one.

It is probably the cable that is not crossed that is the problem.
Use a crossed cable, or put an autosensing switch in between.

A good simple test is to try and "ping" the PLC from the laptop.

Edit:
Oh, and there are several "ethernet" entries in Set PG/PC interface.
If set to one with "ISO" protocol it will probably not work right away.
If in doubt, just try them all (there are not that many).

And, I think the first three parts of the IP addresses of both PLC and laptop have to match (i.e 192.068.0.1 and 192.068.0.2).

Last edited:
cakkostepen started a new thread here.
For the sake of clarity I will continue in this thread.

cakkostepen,

you have selected an ISO protocol, any reason as to why it has to be ISO and not TCP ?
If it has to be ISO, then pinging will say nothing as the communication is via the MAC addresses not IP addresses.
Using a TCP protocol is easier.
ISO should be faster than TCP though.

You also have Profibus.
Can you connect via Profibus ?
If so, did you download the hardware configuraton to the PLC ?

What are the details of the hardware configuration of the PLC, in particular for the ethernet card "C230".

That "SIMOTION C" PLC type is unknown to me.
So I dont know anything particularly about that.

I cahnged the protocol to TCP but it didnt work either. The profibus is for the driver of the motor and the OP170B. I cannot connect via profibus to the PLC because the PLC is using ethernet for the connection as it can be seen from the picture. Apart from that Simotion is not that different from a S7-300 only the software for the program is different. It is using a software called Scout. Is there anyway that I can change the connection type to profibus rather than the ethernet.

If both your PC and PLC are connected to Profibus, then they can certainly connect to each other that way.
You dont have to add a PG/PC object to do that, just set the PG/PC Interface S7ONLINE access point to a Profibus-capable card.

edit: OK, I see now that the PC is not on Profibus. Ignore what I wrote above.

If you have never been online, then how have you downloaded the HW config to the CPU ?

It is possible to download the HW config via ethernet to a fresh new CPU. You have to specify the MAC address of the CP in order to do that.
At least that works with a regular S7-300.

What are the details of the hardware configuration of the PLC, in particular for the ethernet card "C230".

edit: I am assuming that the PLC is similar to an S7-300. But actually I may be completely wrong in that respect.
I dont know if it even requires a HW configuration to be downloaded.

Last edited:
somebody worked before me on the plc. I am just editing the program.
C230-2 Motion Controller; 2 x DP Connections (Isochronous); 1 x Ethernet Connection; Max. 4 Analog Axes; 4 x External Encoder Inputs; 2-tier Installation up to Max. 16 Modules; Firmware V3.0. this is the short description of the C230.

In STEP7 you can open up a socalled Hardware Configuration.
In the HW Config you setup the hardware, including the network connections.
I dont know if there is something similar in Simotion Scout.

I would talk to that "somebody" that worked with the PLC before.
How did he setup the hardware ?
Has he setup and downloaded the hardware configuration ?

edit:
Maybe you can see the various properties if you click on the PLC and the network card in NetPro. I assume that you got the project from the other persom who set it up.

Last edited:
cakkostepen said:
thank you jesper, I just learned from somebosy that there should be an additional device for the ethernet connection.
What device is that then ? To me it looks like both PLC and PC are connected to ethernet allready.